16 HP Tecumseh rebuild tips (hot rodding)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 16 HP Tecumseh rebuild tips (hot rodding)

In response to the engine working well in my argo with it's two speed tranny. When you say it will be slow, are you saying slower than it is now. Will I get less rpm out of the honda clone than what I am spinning in my oh160? I like the engine I have, but as I said it has an exhaust problem, and I know it won't last forever. Do these little hondas have less torque?

Quote Originally Posted by MIteyMT View Post
    In response to the engine working well in my argo with it's two speed tranny. When you say it will be slow, are you saying slower than it is now. Will I get less rpm out of the honda clone than what I am spinning in my oh160? I like the engine I have, but as I said it has an exhaust problem, and I know it won't last forever. Do these little hondas have less torque?
    the honda clone (15 or 16hp) will put out the same performance as the OH160. BUT as you got an older argo, I would retune the clutch and driven pulley so it engage a bit higher (closer to the original before the springs started to sag) On most clones you can readjust the governer for a good 4000 rpm that will push them closer to the 18 hp. and if you are into performance, you can get a 10$ flywheel key so the timing get a 8 degree advance; then you can get the head cut 100 mils to kick up the compression ratio. This engine can get close to 20hp safely while the kart guys go over 25hp all the time.

affordablegokarts: GX390 PERFORMANCE PARTS

I am taking a good hard look at these. The link posted above for the 350 dollar engine is the best deal I have been able to find. I might actually be able to repower this way, I am working on it. The Tecumseh is not weak, it is just old, and I don't like going in where I go knowing that if my motor dies, my argo may stay there!

Just for argument, what about this diesel
    Amazon.com: 10 Hp Diesel Engine Electric Start Plus Recoil Start: Home Improvement
    The horsepower is ten, but it's a 418 cc diesel. I expect diesel horsepower to be lower than gas in tractors, pick-ups, and what not, but in this application I can't figure out how to think about it
    Would this make my argo a dependable dog? I am already speed limited by the tranny.

no go on the diesel; it's not made to be throttled. It's a constant rpm engine that will be OVERLOADED by the argo weight. Forget about it; I had one on an hydrostatic lawn tractor and is was just enough for the 44 inches mower; not enough for the 44 inch snowblower.

and the vibration from the engine will be hard on your fillings.

and if you need top dependability; don't hot rod the 15hp honda-clone.

I have requested quotes on a few of these clone v-twins, but I am leaning hard towards the Honda one cylinder clones that have been suggested on this forum. I never knew they exsisted. Thanks everybody

I have had the 16hp powermax engine(now there duromax) for some time now and am happy with it. I rev it high with no governor and have had no problems other then the plastic fan broke. They sent me a new one no questions asked and even paid shipping. It had a yr warranty. I did over heat it twice before I figured out it was the fan. That oil was thin from being so hot. I originally though something happen and I was getting gas in the oil it was so thin. But still runs great.

No tecumseh rebuilders out there?
    I have a fresh oh160 for my Tomahawk with ports cleaned up etc The biggest thing I have heard about is reinforcing the conecting rod and notching the cylinder to give more clearance. This is supposed to allow you to exceed the rated rpm without breaking the rod. All I'm tinkering with now is a different carb for mine. It sputters and nearly shutsoff in sharp corners ie. Ashtabula. i'm hoping to not get lapped by the 25hp and above crowd

well, that's exactly what I swapped in the garden tractor when I found out the diesel wasn't enough for the snowblower.

Right now this v-twin engine is getting tuned for more HP and will go in my 1987 8x8 argo.

it's a copy of a Honda GX620 engine.

and forget about the V-twin diesel from China; it's a good engine but will puff smoke every time you brake one side to turn; not fun.

+ Reply to Thread