MAX Or ARGO this is my dilemma!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MAX Or ARGO this is my dilemma!!

I have been looking for an argo(or something similar) but not sure what would be the best choice?
    What are the pros and cons to an ARGO over the MAX?
    does one out perform the other in certain conditions?
    I looked at a new EFI 8x8 ,I looked at the HDI (the price scared me away),The max seems like a good deal but is there more maintenance involved with them?
    If anyone has some advice that can push me off the fence (in to the greener swamp) please share.
    All The vidios on YouTube, only show the good times, (not the bad ones).
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mike; 04-27-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Combined two identical threads. Please only post in one location. Thanks

I have been looking for an argo(or something similar) but not sure what would be the best choice?
    What are the pros and cons to an ARGO over the MAX?
    does one out perform the other in certain conditions?
    I looked at a new EFI 8x8 ,I looked at the HDI (the price scared me away),The max seems like a good deal but is there more maintenance involved with them?
    If anyone has some advice that can push me off the fence (in to the greener swamp) please share.
    All The vidios on YouTube, only show the good times, (not the bad ones).
    Thanks

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    It's the old which is better thing again. Here's my 2 cents Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Argo, Hustler, Muddox, Max or whatever: When they're broke and I'm working on them it don't matter- they're all a pos Other than that I like the Max because they are easy to get to most everything for fixin. But the new Argo tranny sounds very interesting and they are really good looking machines. I haven't had the chance to work on an Argo (yet) there seems to be a lot more Max machines down this way.

As for mudding ability, lets just say this, I can get stuck today in the same hole I walked right through yesterday in the same machine - and all I have to do to get stuck is use a little more throttle or take a slightly different line into the hole. A prime example: there is a slough on one of my trails that is a fight to get through most times, yesterday I couldn't resist and drove into it against my better judgement, and as always, toward the far end my machine began to slow and came to a stop. But unlike some of the other times when I would gas on it, I just let completely off the throttle and sat there as all the water I had pushed ahead of me rushed back into the slough. I actually felt the Hustler lift up, and I began to throttle up just enough to get the tires to roll, they started to grab, and I drove on out, no rocking, no fighting and no winching. So which one will outdo the other: My 950 yesterday or my 950 the next time I go out?

my dodge dont break....lol

well i own argos and maxs , bought my first max about three yrs ago and its been maxs ever since,
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

simply stated an argo would not handle the punishment i put my max through ..
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Drive them both and then choose for yourself. I have one of each and they are both incredible machines.

simply stated an argo would not handle the punishment i put my max through ..

Certain argos might not be able to follow your IV in certain areas, and vice versa, but any '96 argo is twice as stout as a '96 model IV.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Newcastle Upon Tyne England Great Britain.
    I have a Max II and i think it is awsom yes i have had it stuck on occasions but hey thats all part of the fun my wife now wants a vehicle of her own and so we are looking at variouse used Argo`s (unfortunatly the prices in England seem to be way up on the US) if it is your first AATV (as my max is) jump in with both feet as wotever you buy will eventualy get stuck and require maintanace ect so if your two opptions are learn how it works or let it sit and rot you will be suprised how quickly you learn.
    good luck with your choise and remember it has to be fun or wots the point hope i have hellped ENJOY...

I was wondering if this was going to fall to a "Mine's better" arguement.

Liflod's right on the mark; you may love one and hate the other, or love them both. I'd have said a T20 machine would out perform the differential style trans of the Argo once too, until I started riding with Argo guys. They're impressive machines, to put it mildly. They handle differently, so if you can get a little experience in each machine you'll be able to make a good choice. Good Luck.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread