My new Hustler project..

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My new Hustler project..

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    No problem at all. By the way, there are people out there that know a lot more than me about 6x6's. We are all learning everyday. That is why this site is so cool. There are tons of different topics and lots of helpful people here. Anyone who hangs out on this site for a while will know a lot about these great vehicles......and when you're out on a trail 10 miles from home that knowledge can come in handy.

I love this site for that reason. Now lets get back on topic.

Sidewinder.... Hmm.

OK. Thanks for the robust discussion.

So here is the picture in question.

I went rummaging through some of the old paperwork that the guy I bought it from gave me.. I found the original Bill of Sale and it states its a sidewinder. Funny thing is that every other document has Hustler on it along with Huster manual.

They must have been building them for the sidewinder group. Kinda like computers, TVS and everything else nowdays.

OK.
    So the transmission can be fixed. I did drive it around the parking lot today but nothing off road. I did notice that there was some fluid under the tranny.

Skid aka Joe

As far as the transmission, it can be fixed and while its all opened up you can put in new case gaskets and steering plunger O ring seals. This will prevent any leaking of fluid. Make sure when you fill it back up you use 1 quart of ATF type F fluid and add about 4 ounces of anti slip differential additive to help prevent the bands from "chattering." I saw that machine for sale on Craigslist for a while. I think the last time it was on, it was down to $1100 or so. I love that roll cage on there too. I've seen that before on some other Hustlers and Sidewinders, is that aluminum?

By the way, take a look at this tag too that was on a Sidewinder that I mentioned too.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attac...icture-196.jpg

I wonder why Hustlers were sold under the name Sidewinder as well. I dont think too many compaines did this. I do know that Recreatives Industries exported Max II parts to Canada, including lime green upper bodies, to a company that sold them as "Northway Explorers." Although, I dont think that they had any Max or Recreatives tags, stickers or ID plates on them.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 11-25-2007 at 09:13 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Wow i guess it is

Ya i think that one was the one in Fort Collins. did he have all the ads stating that it was great for hunting? I think this is the same one. Nice machine. I am looking at a tranny re-bulid for mine as well. ( be expecting a post in the transmission section soon ) Very cool.

Another thing on my to-do list is snap some pictures and post up a step by step rebuild of a T-20 Skid Steer transmission in the "How to Articles" section of the site to help us all along on the process.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

good idea

Jp, i will use the article in the next week or so. i broke a shifting pin, and did not want to leave the old broken part in the tranny just waiting to get jammed into a gear.

the picture of the Hustler sticker would be there because sidewinders where originally Hustlers, so if they did not remove the sticker, obviously it would still be there. (i think that statement is correct- am i wrong?)

Kevin, dont feel too bad about busting the shifting pin, Hydromike did the same thing the last time we were out on a trail ride, but someone happened to have a entire shifting mechanism. Those pins do break sometimes.
    As far as the Hustler sticker goes, Im not sure why Hustler would leave them on there when they sent them to Sidewinder. Unless Clay Ratcliffe just showed up with an 18 wheeler at the Hustler factory and said "give me that pile of frames, motors, etc. and they already had all the Hustler badging, stickers, etc. on them. Its a mystery that I hope someone that might have worked at either of the factories at one time might be able to solve for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin31 View Post
    Jp, i will use the article in the next week or so. i broke a shifting pin, and did not want to leave the old broken part in the tranny just waiting to get jammed into a gear.

the picture of the Hustler sticker would be there because sidewinders where originally Hustlers, so if they did not remove the sticker, obviously it would still be there. (i think that statement is correct- am i wrong?)

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Kevin, dont feel too bad about busting the shifting pin, Hydromike did the same thing the last time we were out on a trail ride, but someone happened to have a entire shifting mechanism. Those pins do break sometimes.
    Again off topic, but can i just use a piece of the right size steel rod for a replacement and forget about the piece of the pin that fell into the transmission? Or will i have to take apart the trans, and find the broken part of the pin? I have the transmission hanging with 2 ratchet straps from my roll bar right now, so it is really easy to get to.

If i get up into that neck of the woods, i will try and find there factory, and do a little research.
    Last edited by Kevin31; 11-26-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling

If it were me I would use the pins from Recreatives, just to be safe. I think they are a chromoly. They are pretty inexpensive as well. And if your transmission is out, I would open it up and get the busted piece out and replace the seals and gaskets while your at it. I have found out it is always better to spend a little more time to fix something correctly.

[QUOTE=jpswift1;5229]I saw that machine for sale on Craigslist for a while. I think the last time it was on, it was down to $1100 or so. I love that roll cage on there too. I've seen that before on some other Hustlers and Sidewinders, is that aluminum?
    QUOTE]

This is the same one.
    The roll bars are pretty neat and are aluminium.
    Skid aka Joe

+ Reply to Thread