2010 Argo Frontier 580 back firering

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2010 Argo Frontier 580 back firering

2010 Argo Frontier 580 back firering

got a 2010 argo frontier 580 and sometimes it back firers no matter if i ride it slow or fast. any help or ideas? thanks

what engine does it have?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hey Brian, argo advertises by CC's, rounding up. they dropped the 14 briggs vanguard from the line up =480cc / the 18 they call 580 / the 23 = 650.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

good to know Roger. thanks
    first thing i would do is pull the carb and clean it. while you are in there check/ replace the anti backfire solenoid (if it has one). they are supposed to stop the backfire when you shut off the engine, but i've seen them cause all kinds of issues. also replace spark plugs. a broken plug can make contact most of the time, but loose contact long enough to load up a cylinder with fuel... then when it sparks again you can get the backfire. also check the diodes in the kill wire between the 2 coils, as they could cause intermittant spark
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thanks for reply is this common on a 18 hp b&s with only 4 hours just got it called the dealer they said it might have some condensation in the gas tank

Is it backfiring while you are riding or just when you turn the motor off?

just when i turn the motor off

if your engine has a anti backfire solenoid, it's probably bad, or stuck open. remove it from the carb and see if it actuates when the key is turned on/ off. if your carb doesn't have one (i have 1 with and 1 without... both 18hp briggs vanguard), then it is fairly normal. all you can do is make sure it is idled all the way down before you shut the key off. in an argo you want the idle as low as possible to keep the trans input shaft from turning anyway, so turning the idle down all you can won't hurt anything. you can also let the engine run for a minute at idle before you shut it off. the shutoff/ backfire issue is common enough with a briggs, that Don and his entire family yell briggs every time someone shuts one off and it sounds off

thanck for all reply after looking mine doesnt have a solenoid. got it idleing at 900 to 1000 rpms some times it will back firer when i cut off and sometimes it wont . so now i just pull the choke out andit doesnt back firer at all.

+ Reply to Thread