Wheel studs question - (Terra tiger)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wheel studs question - (Terra tiger)

Wheel studs question - (Terra tiger)

I gave my machinist the specs provided on this website for the 5 bolt wheel flanges. He has the flanges turned, but is questioning what kind of wheel studs I plan to use. I assume the splined type are preferred, but there is no hole diameter. Can anyone provide this info? I plan to use 5 bolt k-lock rims once I get to that phase.

Thanks in advance,
    Erik

The cheapest/easiest thing to use is a 1/2" fine thread bolt. Drill and tap the flange, then put a spot of weld on the bolt head to keep it from spinning back out. Lug nuts should be available at the auto parts store.

I would use 7/16" x 20 threads per inch studs as that is the most standard stud on almost all machines. That way the 5 bolt rims we use will slip over that size stud. No offence Buggyman I had to chime in on this one as 1/2" would be too big for most rims. He would have to drill out the holes on the rim to get it on the studs using that size.

Simpleton, measure over the splines of the new studs and deduct .015 - .020 of an inch from that and drill your stud holes. They should press in fine. I have done many of these but do not remember the exact size offhand. Hope that helps........Mark

Recreatives uses 7/16-20. We converted all the springers to 1/2-20. Buy your studs first so you know what the knurl is. Drill the hole about .006 smaller than the O.D. of the knurl & they will press right in. Any good automotive store will have a good variety of studs (Whipper uses Dorman wheel studs, because they have a big selection). Lug nuts can be bought for the 1/2" that use a 3/4 socket, or 1/2" that use a 13/16 socket. It's whatever you want. If you have to drill your rim out a little, it's no big deal since the hole is already there.

Bridget

Now you have me thinking.......I need to go measure what I have. Dah

Thanks all. I have not gone "cheap" yet, so I am not about to start now. But these things are getting pricey. I am gonna have about $2k (or maybe a little more) in each when all is said and done. 7/16" x 20 it will be unless I hear otherwise over night. Thanks for the tips!!

What length stud do you guys use? (either from the knurl to tip or from the head to the tip) And for anyone with K-lock rims, what kind of lug nut do you use....the k-locks do not have any countersunk mounting holes from what I can tell.

Thanks,
    Erik

+ Reply to Thread