Stuck keys (removal tips?)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck keys (removal tips?)

Stuck keys (removal tips?)

I have some woodruff keys that are stuck pretty good in the keyways on some axles. In the past, I have worked them out with a wire cutter or the claw end of a hammer....but these seem to be stuck beyond my normal means. Someone out here has some helpful hints on getting them out....could I trouble you to share your tips?

Have you hit them with large flat punch on either end? Might try some heat around them and soak with kroil ? or melt wax into them? Or you might weld a piece on top of them and pry out? Normally they fall out of terra tiger axles. Just pulled 6 axles tonight from a tt18 and all fell out )) It was well greased though!

Quote Originally Posted by simpleton7016 View Post
    I have some woodruff keys that are stuck pretty good in the keyways on some axles. In the past, I have worked them out with a wire cutter or the claw end of a hammer....but these seem to be stuck beyond my normal means. Someone out here has some helpful hints on getting them out....could I trouble you to share your tips?
    Woodruff keys or flat keys ? (Woodruff's are half mooned shaped).

Woodruff Key:

and Key stock:

I would think soaking them over night in a mixture of sani flush and water will loosen them up. Yes Sani flush, available where any household cleaners are sold. It'll remove rust from anything.

They are woodruff. I got to out of the four to come out....now more surgery!!

Quote Originally Posted by simpleton7016 View Post
    They are woodruff. I got to out of the four to come out....now more surgery!!
    Try the Sani Flush. You'll be amazed.

I've always had luck with a hammer and chisel under the edge closest to the end of the shaft. You'll distort/ruin the key, but they are cheap and at most hardware or auto parts stores.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

+ Reply to Thread