First 6x6 - ATTEX SUPERCHEIF

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First 6x6 - ATTEX SUPERCHEIF

First 6x6 - ATTEX SUPERCHEIF

So I took a drive down to my local scrap yard and found a Supercheif just sitting there. It had everything in it, 6 tires and there was only one crack in the bottom by the front tire mount. Asked the guy running the place how much it would take to get it off of his hands and he said "150 bucks cash does alot of talking". So 150 bucks later it was mine.

Engine is the g50b, that had one piston skirt busted. bought new oversized pistons, and the cyclinders machined to fit the pistons. put the thing back together and the thing does not want to get spark.

the body- everything is there nothing is totally wrecked or busted. the door on the engine bay is there and busted off like all the rest of them.

drivetrain- the thing sat with water and leaves in it so its rusted. i have pulled the chains and the bearings spin, but have to be replaced. they are makin alot of noise.

skid steer- works, just has age on it.

the electrical has been hacked on. and that is where i have no idea what exactly im doing and need help on.

Help me get it to fire!?

Sounds like an awesome find!!! Plus you rescued it from a scrap yard! Very cool and sounds like it found a great home. You sound like you have the motor a part already and probably already know what your doing there but did find this for you in case it helps.
    G50B Manual

As for your wiring, you may have to be more specific. Someone I am sure will be able to help you.
    Great find! Keep us informed on progress you make on it.

A $150 Superchief from a scrap yard?! That is soooooo cool! I'm happy to hear that someone's able to restore and bring back a vintage AATV, especially this one. Post up some pictures if you could too, we'd love to see it. As far as the spark issue goes, I'd start with coils, and points and condensers. Or if you really wanted to, you could scrounge up some parts and convert it over to CDI ignition like some 6x6World members have done. That G50B is a great motor and that is one super fast 6 wheeler. You're going to love it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

what does it take to convert it to cdi?

ok look i broke it down. its sitting on my bench. i isolated the two coil wires and cut them. i had spark on one but not the other, switched the wires and the other coil fired great. so i think i have one weak coil and one strong one. the other condenser was out i assumed, so i went to the orellys and bought a ford coil.

ya ya i know its a shotty job, but im also a poor college student that knows how to make things work. but since i added that condenser in, i cant even get either one to fire. so i dont know what i did.
    sounds like the CDI would be a huge upgrade....but worth it in my case. this thing looks like a pain in the ass to time just right.

i have welded pistons up to make engines run, welded powersteering hoses from a VW to a subaru, you name it, ive almost done it or have.

So now i cant get either coil to fire. on the wiring, there were 2 black wires that were in the plug. one was connected to the coil wire the other was just hanging bare. Are these the kill wires and should be they be connected in with each coil?

the 2 yellow wires are for the charging, i know that.

Anybody have any spare parts i could buy for the G50b also? the machine shop cracked the fan case when trying to press out the bearings. so its shot to hell
    I was thinking about using a electric fan off of say a honda motorcycle. they are about the same size. i would have to weld a custom mount up and everything, but I already have the fan and AL. it wouldnt cost me much to just go custom. Im gona sand blast the inside. this is going to be a great machine when i am done with it.

Supercheifs are so cool! Be prepared to have the crap scared out of ya when it gets going! Mine was scary fast! Great to hear you saved it and got it cheap!!!

George, Don, or Hydromike would be the 6x6World members that know how to do CDI conversions. Also, there are sources for parts for the G50B still. MFG Supply still carries some parts, and also some pop up on ebay too. There are even some parts that are interchangeable between the more common G44B and the G50B.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The actual conversion is stone-simple. It's really a matter of unbolting parts, and bolting new one's on. The trick is actually FINDING usable parts. The CDI stator and flywheels typically come from the "SS" models of the Chaparral snowmobiles, or the Rupp models running the Chaparral G44BW engines (pretty common, with a very strong following). The CDI boxes are still available as an aftermarket item from mfgsupply (aka sledparts.com) for around $120. The coils also come from the Chap/Rupp sleds. I've recently (last night, 9:00PM) discovered that you can run a CDI box and coil from the Kawasaki CDI sleds (invaders, JD Liquifires), and they seem to run exactly the same since the spark advance curve is about dead on between the two units.

George did a nice video documentation of the conversion (on YouTube, maybe?), and Don's done it a few times as well. It's a nice upgrade!

~m

Here we go:

Hey TX,

Finding the CDI parts is a bit of a challenge. You really need to keep any eye open for them. The CDI external coil is on Ebay all the time but the stator, flywheel and original CDI box do not come up all that often. The last box I bought did not work (it was a used OEM).

I might have some of the points ignition stuff left over if you're interested. It sounds like you might need to do a little more troubleshooting though to isolate the problem. If you do, let me know. I don't live near my spare parts but I'll be visiting them every weekend between now and the Ashtabula event.
    Banned

Well,

I dont think im going to have to change over to CDI, because I just got the hell knocked out of me by the new condenser that I made to fit for about 5 bucks.

The first pull landed me a big shot of fire out of the exhaust. That was the last of any kind of fire from the engine. but man that thing has some compression!

I have no idea about exhaust. I have nothing on it right now because its on the engine stand. The muffler was rusted out and the pipe just crumbled in our hands it was so rusty. I have yet to make a new exhaust, but that is next on the list.

And the other real thing im having a hard time figuring out is:

How the hell to remove the axles and change the bearings? The engine and the bearings are all that are holding me back from this thing really coming back to life.

+ Reply to Thread