20hp to 29hp engine swap in progress

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20hp to 29hp engine swap in progress

20hp to 29hp engine swap in progress

I've been talking to this guy for a bit (nice guy), and he has decided to post vids of his engine swap as he goes
    This is his second vid (I have not seen it yet, damn Dial-up), his first vid detailed the mods he had to make for his alternator bracket.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

Vid 4

Vid 5

Vid 6

Vid 7

Vid 8

OOPS, missed this one
    Vid 8.5 ;-)

Vid 9

I'm still waiting on quotes for the 27hp Carbed option, and really don't know which route I'm going to go with. The 29 DFI is tempting, but the 27 Carbed is probably easier to diagnose/work on if I have problems in a remote location

RD
    Last edited by Mike; 06-28-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: embedded videos

That's great to have someone do it first. Looks like a lot of work. I'd want to do a lot of measuring with the old engine in there. That's one thing I was very grateful on my response engine, just take it out, modify, and re install. The large displacement of the 27 or 29 should have lots of low rpm torque for the way you load the conquest.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I think your friend should give himself a little credit there. He did a great job. I see where his concerns are going with this section of vid. and I'm sure he's prob. thought of this but I'm going to ask anyways,Is the center of the shaft from the base on the old engine the same height as the new one. If not, the center from clutch to clutch will change slightly. Again,it's not my intention here to insult anyones intelligence here. It's just my way to be always thinking cautiously.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike bar View Post
    I think your friend should give himself a little credit there. He did a great job. I see where his concerns are going with this section of vid. and I'm sure he's prob. thought of this but I'm going to ask anyways,Is the center of the shaft from the base on the old engine the same height as the new one. If not, the center from clutch to clutch will change slightly. Again,it's not my intention here to insult anyones intelligence here. It's just my way to be always thinking cautiously.
    Mike

Yes that has come up, it's .3" higher on the new engine.

I've added VID 5 above .
    Last edited by Rock Doctor; 06-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Added Vid 6 above ^

I like this guy's humour, he cracks me up Great Job RD

I like this guy's humour, he cracks me up Great Job RD
    Yes, he seems like quite a comedian, hope to meet him some day :-)

RD

added vids 7 and 8 ^

For the curious:
    FD620D specs (pdf)
    FD750D specs (pdf)
    FD791D specs (pdf)

From the pics it looks to me that a person could choose an aircleaner much shorter than the one shown in the vids above - enough to not be a concern.

... Is the center of the shaft from the base on the old engine the same height as the new one. If not, the center from clutch to clutch will change slightly. ...
    I know that I do not have enough information to determine this. (Mike may.) If we assume that the line through the shaft centers is parallel to the surface of the bottom of the engine then it is true. If, for example, the engine shaft of the FD620D is half the delta below the parallel line then the shaft to shaft distance remains the same post swap. If the engine shaft is further below than that, then the shaft to shaft distance actually decreases.

Does anyone know the the distance center-to-center of the shafts and whether the shafts are parallel to the engine bottom? We might be able to make up the difference in how you drill out the engine mount holes.
    Last edited by JohnF; 06-24-2010 at 11:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread