20hp to 29hp engine swap in progress

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20hp to 29hp engine swap in progress

I don't think the crank height difference is enough to engineer for. If the engine mount holes are the same, only needing enlarged, I would use a drill with a pilot OD spun on the tip. I think you can change the shim pack on the trans clutch to adjust the belt if needed.

I don't think I've seen an engine where the crank wasn't parallel to the block mountings.

Great thread by the way, a labor of love, Sure makes me appreciate the simplicity and spaciousness of an air cooled briggs vanguard. But the big water cooled kawasaki will be torquey and quiet with power to spare.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I don't think the crank height difference is enough to engineer for. ...
    Not gonna disagree - but I did geek out and do the calculations. (I hadta know... )
    So, assuming that the shafts began on a plane parallel to the engine mount surface. (oh, and the actual height change is 0.33 inches)
    At 4 inches original distance the delta is 0.013589 inches.
    At 8 inches original distance the delta is 0.006803 inches.
    At 12 inches original distance the delta is 0.004537 inches.
    (remember, I have no idea how far apart the shafts are but I imagine I have bracketed that dimension.)

If we assume normal fit holes the M8 of the FD620D will be 11/32 inches. The M10 needs 13/32. That means we can move the hole 1/32 (0.03125) inches.
    It works! Just gotta be real steady with hand drill...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I don't think I've seen an engine where the crank wasn't parallel to the block mountings.
    Hmm, I mean the plane through the shaft ceterlines parallel to the plane of the engine mount surface. I was visualizing the shaft plane as a line through the centers at the shaft ends and assuming the shafts themselves are parallel to each other and that each is parallel to the engine mounting plane.

Glad to see this is drumming up some discussions
    With any luck my new engine should be here within a week or two, it's great to have some of the figures worked out beforehand.

I've added another vid to the original post up above

RD

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    From the pics it looks to me that a person could choose an aircleaner much shorter than the one shown in the vids above - enough to not be a concern.

What he has is the "Heavy Duty Canister Filter", The other option is the "Standard Filter" witch looks very similar to the stock 20hp air filter. I actually don't know for sure, but I think the engine I have ordered is coming with the Standard Filter assembly.

RD

Hey Mike (Admin)
    Why do some of the vids show up as "vids", and others show up as "Links"?
    Am I doing something different?

RD

Oh ya, I missed a vid, and added it as "vid 8.5" in the original post.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-28-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the "+" buttons)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Hey Mike (Admin)
    Why do some of the vids show up as "vids", and others show up as "Links"?
    Am I doing something different?
    One of your links included some extra code. Something like "&playnext=" You have to stop the link at the video's address (the part before the & symbol) Once you include that extra code it screws up the entire embedding process in that particular post for good. It's just a finicky thing. If that ever happens to you again there is a "insert video" tag when you edit or reply to a post that will fix the link for you. Just click on it (the filmstrip) and paste your link. Hit OK. Just like when you link to a picture somewhere else. You can do that everytime and it will make sure the video embeds properly or you can take your chances with the site embedding it automatically.

Kinda a long explanation but it's not as convoluted as it sounds.

Been away for awhile. Came back and found the post where this upgrade is done. I spent some time with my machine, super-tracked, in the mountains this winter. I Ice fish around 2Kft in SD, hunt on family property at around 4Kft in NE, live at around 6Kft, and played in the snow climbing from 9Kft. I had no trouble at all with snow but uphill turns at >9Kft are a drag.

I do think that at a minumum I will get some sort of adjustable jetting. I am pretty quick at pulling the carb and rejetting but...

I think I want the FD791D-DFI we mentioned here but RD's upgrade and the simplicity of the swap are very compelling. FD750D right? Which model #? Any advice? (Yeah, I've seen the other thread with the video but stopped here because it also includes the FD791D...)

[EDIT] And dang! I'm gonna hafta spend a month just to get caught up...

How much extra performance did you gain speed/low end/fuel consumptionwise?

Wow! Great videos to start my weekend off watching. That guy is the boss!

Any videos of it running down the trails?

+ Reply to Thread