New guy , new to 6x6's....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New guy , new to 6x6's....

supposed to go get it tomorrow (Monday). any idea what is too much to pay for it?
    it does not currently run but has good compression. i have access to a free Cuyuna ULII-02, so the issue of it not running really isn't much of an issue.
    looks like it's all there, gauges and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejus View Post
    supposed to go get it tomorrow (Monday). any idea what is too much to pay for it?
    it does not currently run but has good compression. i have access to a free Cuyuna ULII-02, so the issue of it not running really isn't much of an issue.
    looks like it's all there, gauges and all.
    I'd offer him $400-$500 and see what he says.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    I'd offer him $400-$500 and see what he says.
    well, that should be easy. he's asking $500. hahaha! i didn't mention that, because i wanted to see what you guys said. i'm going to try to get it for less anyway. you never know until you ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejus View Post
    well, that should be easy. he's asking $500. hahaha! i didn't mention that, because i wanted to see what you guys said. i'm going to try to get it for less anyway. you never know until you ask!
    Thfats right. If you can get it for $300-$400 that would be good deal for sure.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks for all the great info! i'm sure i'll be asking more questions as i tear into this thing.

We're all here to help. Post lots of pics.....we love watching the progress on vintage AATV restorations!

picked it up yesterday and discovered that i need a bigger trailer! hahaha! it techically "fits" on my trailer, but it has to sit on the trailer rails rather than on the actual floor of the trailer.

it's a little rougher than what it looked like in the pics, but i got the guy to come down to 400 bucks. i'll try to get some pics up on here tonight or tomorrow for you guys to check out.

2 of the 6 tires actually hold air. the others are shot and torn open. engine and trans look decent and fairly clean compared to the rest of the buggy. the engine cover is busted up back by the hinge (which i assume is probably fairly common for these things.) the headlights look like someone shot them with a bb gun.

one thing i was wondering, are there supposed to be 2 probably 3/4" or 1" holes on the lower rear of the body? they are on the back panel all the way at the bottom maybe a foot or so apart from each other. they look very uniform like they are supposed to be there, but i couldn't help but think that holes would hinder the floating ability of this thing. should there be plugs in them? the body has a few holes and cracks here and there on top, but the lower body seems to be fine from what i can tell so far.

i think my first step is to try to get it running. once i get it to at least fire, i'll be shopping for wheels and tires, while i rip it completely apart. will this thing still float and go in the water with those TSL swamper ATV tires and steel wheels? i don't know how the extra weight of the tires and wheels would affect it.

anyway, i have a LOT of work ahead of me while i try to keep up with the house, yard, wife, daughter, 2 motorcycle builds and a car project that is currently on the back burner......ugh.....

Glad to hear that you got it! The two holes in the back of the machine are the drain plugs. The machine will still float fine with 22" Super Swamper TSL ATV tires, but those tires will not really propel it through the water very well because of their tread design. They're great in the mud though. When you go to switch the wheels and tires over to modern ATV tires and wheels, you'll need to make a set of adapter plates. Mike made a template for everyone to use, so it should make it easy to do. Post some pics if you get a chance, we'd love to see them.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...e-adapter.html

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...g-adapter.html

how thick of material should i make the adapters out of?

also, what kind of offset should i be looking for when i'm looking for wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    The machine will still float fine with 22" Super Swamper TSL ATV tires, but those tires will not really propel it through the water very well because of their tread design. They're great in the mud though.
    what tires would you suggest, that would propel it through the water best, besides the original ones?
    Last edited by Mike; 06-08-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts (you can edit your original post ;)

People are finicky about tires. Some people love one kind, and the next will absolutely hate it. I'll forego the goods and bads about each tire and just answer your question from my experience with a few different tires on an Attex, and what swims well. I'll leave the traction argument for later.

*Goodyear Runamuks swim extremely well on a 6x6 Attex
    *26" Goodyear Rawhide IIIs swim extremely well on an Attex 8x8, but 22" Rawhide IIIs don't do squat on my particular 6x6. Weird, I know.
    (With some body mods, you CAN fit a 26" Rawhide III on an Attex. Seen it done once. )
    *Cheng Shin Lumberjacks tend to swim forward with V's pointing backward, and with the transmission in reverse. Werid, I know.
    *Nankang Chevrons move an Attex 6x6 pretty nicely through the water the normal way. (V's point backward).

As far as suggesting a tire, the Rawhide III is the most durable out of all the above, and has the best traction. Just bring a paddle. Or find an Attex Tank Trainer and build it around a set of 8 Rawhides....

~m

+ Reply to Thread