My Attex Military Trainer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My Attex Military Trainer

I see you're not wasting any time on getting this machine back in commission! The nice thing about the ST, 6 chain Attex frames (which the tank trainer is based off of, except stretched and with 2 extra axles of course) is that the engine mount sits very low. That gives you tons of room and so many engine options so you can still use the stock engine cover without modification. On my green Superchief trail machine I have a 6 chain ST style frame for that reason. The Briggs Vanguard sits in there with plenty of room to spare.

Hydromike told me that when he was patching his machine up, the body was actually gray ABS that was smooth and the olive green textured finish was actually some sort of coating that was applied by Attex.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Yes Jeff, this appears gray inside the plastic also. Lots of room for the engine. I was looking at the ID list and appears the '72 chief was a 6 chain setup. From what I understand the '73-'75 had a 4 chain setup. I have dealt with the 4 chain setup on a colt and I was a pain to put another motor it. Compared to the 6 chain set up that I am used to in the first generation machines. Attex made a 4 chain set up and a 6 chain set up. I have an 8, lol.

I got the lower end of the motor mount done. I just need to make the part the motor mounts too. I noticed the whole thing isnt square from the factory. Take a look at the picture with the new mount in. Eyeball the mount to the frame rails and you will see. The bar that is closest to you is factory still. I just moved the other one over and measured it to be 8 1/2" away from the factory bar on both sides to make it square with the factory side. I didn't realize it was that crooked until I was done.

That freakin heavy motor is killing my back. I had to cheat and use the roll bar I hit my head on like 4 times today and put a strap on there so I dont have to yank the motor out completely every time I set it in to make sure everything is looking good. I keep forgetting I have a roll bar and stand up under it. Not use to it. Every time I hit my head, a part of my brain is damaged and I forget I have it again I think, lol.

I am also posting some pictures of my trainer from way back. I think Don showed me a while ago. Jpswift reminded me they were in Joes Garage. The cage is modified the same way as well as the ashtray in the back of the seat. It has to be mine. Very cool!! Thanks Guys!!

Larry, you're really moving right along! You're right, the 71-72 Attex ST models were all 6 chain. The 73 and newer were all 4 chain. How's the progress on paint removal? Do you think a pressure washer would help do the trick?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey Jeff,
    I scraped that little bit off the corner and have been working more getting the engine in. I have decided to take this to ash so I want it to at least run. I am not really worried about the looks at the moment. I hope you guys will forgive me for bringing a nasty pig. My father inlaw has a washer with a tip that would destroy a wooden deck. I think that might work. Would be awesome if it did. The scraping thing is a lot easier then I thought it would be though. I sat in it dreaming a little today. That seat will move way back or right up to the sticks. It will also recline to it hits the back seat. Was actually kind of comfy. I think I know where I am sleeping at ash!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Hey Jeff,
    I scraped that little bit off the corner and have been working more getting the engine in. I have decided to take this to ash so I want it to at least run. I am not really worried about the looks at the moment. I hope you guys will forgive me for bringing a nasty pig. My father inlaw has a washer with a tip that would destroy a wooden deck. I think that might work. Would be awesome if it did. The scraping thing is a lot easier then I thought it would be though. I sat in it dreaming a little today. That seat will move way back or right up to the sticks. It will also recline to it hits the back seat. Was actually kind of comfy. I think I know where I am sleeping at ash!!

Now that is a serious 6x6 member. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post

That freakin heavy motor is killing my back. I had to cheat and use the roll bar I hit my head on like 4 times today and put a strap on there so I dont have to yank the motor out completely every time I set it in to make sure everything is looking good. I keep forgetting I have a roll bar and stand up under it. Not use to it. Every time I hit my head, a part of my brain is damaged and I forget I have it again I think, lol.

Hey Larry,

I use an old-time block and tackle to do my lifting. I've used to lift the engines, T-20s and even frames from the tub. It's like having 4 extra pair of hands.

You move fast! I'd love to see this at Ash. It'd be cool if we could get Mike's there too!
    Banned

Here's something for motivation. These videos are from last summer when Hydromike and I did some trail riding.

it im glad you finally got it.i think youll be happier with this than some other thins you had in mind! congrats!!!!! i still wont forget the day you found out about it lol!

Larry! This is AWESOME!

Sorry to comment so late.....I don't get on the board much over the weekends. She looks beautiful! I'm really amazed at how well it's been kept over the years. A fragged stator likely saved its life. I think you made out incredibly well in the trade. I would have given 6 Scramblers for a 'Tank that's in that condition.

The ABS material, like you and JP have found out, isn't green at all. It's a light-grey plastic with what I'd call a "wrinkle finish" coating of either paint, or some other sort of epoxy coating. The underside of the upper body, as well as the inside of the machine as you've already found out is smooth. The ABS isn't overly thick in any part of the machine. The ladder-style frames really flex quite a bit and the ABS usually ended up cracking because of it. Although it's a royal pain to fit a heavy-duty skid plate to these machines, I'd highly suggest it. You can do it in one piece. If you're able to duplicate the original factory front seat, you'll find out that it's a very, very fun riding position. You're hunkered down low, and it feels very aggressive, and almost overly-stable. They certainly got it right.

It would be awesome if you brought it to Ash! The only downfall, is that I now find myself searching for a longer trailer to rationalize bringing the racers and 5.

Congratulations, Larry.....
    ~m

Why not put up racking on your trailer to carry it on top of the others like they do in car transporters.

+ Reply to Thread