My Attex Military Trainer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: My Attex Military Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Nice work, Larry! The Tecumseh sounds great. How well does it move the trainer along?
    I still have to tweek the throttle. It doesnt rev up enough. But I after driving it along a while I remembered" Hey, I have a speedo!!!" So I watched it and thought it was broke. But then it moved. I can almost top out at 10 right now. Hydro Mike wasnt kidding with the gearing like a tank on these things. Easily climbed the bank across the street with my wife and the 2 kids in it. Not a problem!!! Yes Larry was in it too. He is in pain but for some reason bouncing around in the trainer makes it feel better! I still have a few thinks to tweek and the tires make it turn really bad. Probably the fact its so long to but the tires have a lot to do with it. The back 2 chevrons are the best and you can feel the pivot point in the back when there grabbing. I also adjust my valves. Havent tried it yet but there was some clatter and they where loose.

Great videos Larry! You have came far on this machine is just a short time. Keep us posted on the progress. Looking great!

It's looking fantastic Larry! I can't wait to see it in person. I think you'll be surprised at what she'll go through with that gearing. It's kind of fun to just put around at 10mph some times. The machines really make use of the torque that even the smallest displacment engines make. I looked up some specs on the OH180, and see that it's a 490cc engine. Not so bad moving around a machine that weighs close to 600 pounds, when you consider what you're moving it up/over/through sometimes......

Big 5 should be there with its off-center drive hub, chattery bands and all. I even cleaned her up a little bit. Very little.
    OK, I just pulled the mud glob off of the hood.

Thanks again to JP for the offer to tow it down there for me.
    ~m

Glad to help out, Mike. I really want to see two Attex 8x8's running around together......that'll be just plain cooll! When I get back to NY on Wednesday I'm taking the title and bill of sale for my new trailer to the DMV and getting it registered so I'll be all ready to go with 3 machines in tow.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey larry fill your pipe with sand and then bend it.the sand will keep it from kinking.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallEpp View Post
    Hey larry fill your pipe with sand and then bend it.the sand will keep it from kinking.
    Good Idea!

I ended up slitting it like I did on my body band. But with all the slits it ended up being a big ole hunking weld, lol. Nice bend though but with all the weld it looks like crap. I want to get some header wrap and that would hide it all anyway. Holy cow that stuff isnt cheap. But it seem like it gets real hot under the hood. That should help a lot. This is my first non opened up engine compartment. Maybe that heat is normal?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Good Idea!

I ended up slitting it like I did on my body band. But with all the slits it ended up being a big ole hunking weld, lol. Nice bend though but with all the weld it looks like crap. I want to get some header wrap and that would hide it all anyway. Holy cow that stuff isnt cheap. But it seem like it gets real hot under the hood. That should help a lot. This is my first non opened up engine compartment. Maybe that heat is normal?
    Larry, the header wrap will help tremendously. Also, the engine cover/seat assembly is set up for the venting on a 400 JLO. If you route some tin ducting on the engine cover so that it comes close to where the air blows through the cylinder fins and direct it up and out through the metal screen on the engine cover/seat, the hot air will be blown out of the engine compartment through the ducting, thus lowering the temperature significantly as well.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey Jeff,
    The oem ducting is there still and works the same with my motor. I did have to cut it some because that is the same spot as my exhaust exit. I though of welding some sheet metal on the exhaust itself that would help route it out but not sure if it would help enough. I do feel hot air coming out when the hood is closed.

As far as my progress goes. My motor wont charge. I think the stator is shot according to ac volt test. I was going to put an automotive alternator on it but all mine dont work when I tested them. I am hoping to find a booster pack, just incase! But I did get my throttle fixed I think. It runs about 12mph. Tomorrow I hope to swap out the 6 bald rawhide for newer ones I am steeling from my 208tt. I have mest with 2 tires so far and one came right off, other was a beech and I never finished it. The bolt is stuck in the axle. Going to try air chisel tomorrow. Hope it works. Then hope hub comes off axle.

Ok, drove it around a little bit more today and have started to have some faith in the beast. Buckhtr17 helped me out with 8 goodyear rawhides on 5 lug rims today. Not perfect but a lot more meat then mine. I was going to swap my hubs and all and run my 208tt near new rawhides on it but the hubs are frozen on the axle on the 2 front. The bolts where frozen in the hubs also. I had to drill a 1/4" hole in them and it weakend it enought I could put a punch in and beat the bolt out. Then the hubs where stuck. So I am running them boltless and hoping they break free so if a front tire falls off at Ash it is because it broke free. Buckhtr17 also came up with the name for it, creepy crawler. Because of the lack of speed. It like an argo stuck in low but with a t-20!!

Glad to hear the update, Larry. Hydromike's Attex 8x8 is currently loaded on my trailer and ready to, so we'll have to make sure you guys park your rigs together once we get them unloaded. I'll be taking lots of pics!

+ Reply to Thread