14 hp Briggs, performance parts or replace?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 14 hp Briggs, performance parts or replace?

How has the Hustler BIGFFOOT been working for you lately? Any new adventures since the clutch install?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Roger S, George H didn't say anything about about steel pushrods or advancing the timing. Is there an issue with the pushrods?

If you have aluminum intake pushrods, you can replace them with steel exhaust pushrods. They're just a few bucks. Ask George if he meant for you to advance the ignition timing. That's related to the new cam. The location of the flywheel on the crank determines timing and is set by the key that aligns them. You can thin the outer part of the key and let the flywheel rotate clockwise, then tighten the flywheel nut. The taper holds the wheel, the key is only for alignment. He recommended thinning the key to 1/2 it's thickness. That puts you around 30-34 degrees advance, compared to I think 17 stock. He ran 34-36 on his engines. I didn't take quite 1/2 the key, and ended up at about 28-30. Because we have to come up off an idle all the time as opposed to the racer guys who are wide open once they tke off.. the timing is fixed so you have full advance at idle. So I scaled it back slightly to help protect the engine from spark knock.

But it all depends on the cam profile and personal preference. Herrin says little or no ignition timing advance for a stock cam, while Al Hodge sends you a thinned key in his rev kit for the stock cam.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Here's a George Herrin interview video, my Briggs guru. A certified master briggs mechanic among other things.. not your typical briggs mechanic

eV Interactive - George Herrin Interview

You may have to pause the player and let it load fully.

Good timing on bringing this topic back up! I got the phone call yesterday that my engine was done. I went buy to hear it run and, WOW! It sounds like a little Harley Davidson. I wish I had the means to post a video! I will be putting it back in my Max today.

To re-cap, I got billet rods and stiffer valve springs and retainers from George Herrin and a cam from Percision cam. I was asked before if the rods were standard length and stated they were. They were not, they were slightly longer. I had to have the pistons shaved for clearance. The aluminum push rods were replaced with steel, and the flywheel key was milled to advance the timing. I got a 94C duster clutch to replace the factory clutch. I'm sure i'm forgetting something so i'll update tonight after the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Here's a George Herrin interview video, my Briggs guru. A certified master briggs mechanic among other things.. not your typical briggs mechanic

eV Interactive - George Herrin Interview

You may have to pause the player and let it load fully.
    I like that he was clocked at 91 MPH on a lawn mower.

Good to hear James! So you do have the long rods. That, and the thin head gaskets has really raised the compression, you'll need at least 95 octane. Don't try to run it on low octane. I understand in some parts of the country that is still available at the pump? Otherwise Aviation gas, or I found a lead additive online that comes in quarts. Don't know if it needs to be re jetted for the cam, or only if a header is added. If your main jet size is around .038", you can drill it with a .040 bit. Just info for your mechanic. You are going to feel every powerstroke, hehe. It's amazing what these modifications do to the vanguard! It's like Popeye before and after a can of spinach

Don't forget a good set of headers, that will put the Iceing on the cake. Try to get a video up of it when It's done.
    Whipper

While the engine was being done, I worked on a roll cage, winch mount, split the tranny and made a mount for a deep cycle battery. I wanted to get started on a header but figured I better wait till the engine was mounted. I need to make a clutch guard also. I wanted to wait on the carb until it was running, in the Max, so I would know what it needed.

The compression ratio is definetly up there now. I had the starter freshened up while it was out and it works fine with a deep cycle battery. The pull starter is pretty much useless now.

I purchased some octane booster from Auto Zone, i'll try to make a mix around 95 octane.

Mor to come......

James,
    How's that briggs build working out in your max II?

+ Reply to Thread