14 hp Briggs, performance parts or replace?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 14 hp Briggs, performance parts or replace?

14 hp Briggs, performance parts or replace?

First off, there is nothing wrong with my 14 hp Vanguard, I just want more power. I don't need huge, just something in the 18 to 20 hp range. The question is, would I be money ahead just getting an 18 hp or make modifications to my 14? What will it take to get 18 hp out of my 14 hp? I know the difference between the 14 and 16 is the carburetor, what will it take to get the other 2 hp? All opinions welcome.

jim

I am not big on the briggs, but have always believed if you think you want or need bigger start with the bigger engine then hop it up. that is my theory anyway. I would image this is true to the briggs as with rotax or yamahas , there are always things that can be done for example bigger and dual carbs, porting, stroking changing rods , pistons , heads, exhaust, dual plug, big boring it or at least max bore for the sleeves you have

all and all you would be easier just starting with a bigger engine in my opinion

X2 on the bigger enginefrom the start!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Go with the bigger engine to get the power you want all too often when you start to modify something the cost can run over quickly. There is also the chance of stressing the smaller motor and running into reliability problems, again go with a bigger motor in the power range you want and keep it stock the way it was designed to be run with confidence.

Get an 18 -23. Then build it.
    Attached Images
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Hey Roger,
    Where did you get that tach? What kind is it? I've looked all over but have not been able to find one. Bob E.
    Bob

James, the difference in displacement of the 14-16HP Briggs is 480cc compared tothe 18HP Briggs which is 570cc. Those 90cc's might only be 2 horsepower, but you must also consider the torque. If you will be climbing very long steep hills with two people and a full load on your Max II, you might want the 18HP, but I have seen 16HP and 14HP Max II's do very well in the same conditions, but it isnt something that you would win a race doing. Try it out for a while and see if the engine suites your needs, if not, I would be glad to buy your 14HP for one of my projects.

Quote Originally Posted by james8719 View Post
    First off, there is nothing wrong with my 14 hp Vanguard, I just want more power. I don't need huge, just something in the 18 to 20 hp range. The question is, would I be money ahead just getting an 18 hp or make modifications to my 14? What will it take to get 18 hp out of my 14 hp? I know the difference between the 14 and 16 is the carburetor, what will it take to get the other 2 hp? All opinions welcome.

jim
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the replies! So far the general consensus is go bigger from the get go. The old axiom holds true, there is no replacement for displacement.
    jpswift1, I think i'll start with your advise. The max is new to me so I will just use it for a while before I deem it too small.

Jim

Hi Bob, long time, no see! Loked at your profile.. you don't have to man the boilers any more? Buy some k rims and come play! The tach is Equus brand. Ordered it on line from a kohler pulling site, then found it at local parts store for less . They make a couple styles and sizes, a smaller diameter which maybe I should have got. I'll look up the model.. has to be specific to work on the briggs.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Me, being the cheap bastard that I am, would try some mods on the 14 and see if it does what you want it to do. Dropping several hundred dollars on a different engine and then adding a few more hundred dollars in parts just doesn't make a lot of $ense to me.

I know Brandon P. did some mods to a 14 HP a few years back and he seemed quite pleased with the results.

+ Reply to Thread