Max or Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Max or Argo

max or argo

if I were going to buy a new aatv and I didn't mind dropping $11,000.00 I would buy the Argo frontier. this is the newest most updated machine with several improvemnets over other AATV's . It has plently of power with a 23 horse Briggs. It has a high and low range for towing or going through the really impossible stuff, and it swims better than any AATV I have seen. The draw back is the tires are somewhat fragile, but driven with that knowledge and proper care you should be alright. Another nice thing about this machine is it sits low but has very good ground clearance, skid protection on bottom, extended axle bearings front and back, and can go just about any where. If you are willing to give up some water speed it will fit a very agressive 26" tires (vampire, mudbug, etc)Fitted with big tires and ground clearance I don't think any other AATV or quad could follow this thing and that includes 8X8's. Best of all it is easy to clean out and maintence it some what easy. The main draw back with my Max IV is cleaning out the tub and performing maintainance,both very difficult tasks. If money is an issue I would get a MaxII with biggest engine I could find!

I agree with you about the max as far as cleaning out the tub, and the maintainence. I find the avenger easier for both of those. As far as the frontier, are you including the avenger in that comparison. I am new to the argos so I dont know. But the avenger seems extreemly capable, and has awesome ground clearence. much more than my max 4 had

Think of it like buying a car

A corvette may be a great car to some but not if you want a Cadillac

A Lincoln may be a great car to some but not if you want a Mustang

A dodge Viper may be a great car to some but not if you want a 300M

My point here is you are comparing two different types of machines and it would be more of an opinion based of preference or what that person uses his AATV for

If you want to fit lots of passengers and carry heavy loads to a cottage I would suggest an 8x8 and from what I see only the Argo still makes it. You may say this is the Cadillac /Lincoln type choice

If you want a sporty 6x6 for recreation use and holds few passengers I am sure allot would say Max or get an old Attex. You may say this is the Mustang, Camaro type choice.

If you got the funds buy one of each.

I do not see what the big deal is about the T-20 and the claim it is all wheel drive. They all are all wheel drive or they would not go straight when they swim. The Argo I have seams to be fairy posy contrary to the claims made on this T-20 loving website. The Argo that I have seems to have a very strong 2speed+ reverse transmission. The T-20 is a one speed
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 02-04-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Robio, have you posted pictures of your Argo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robio_8x8 View Post
    I do not see what the big deal is about the T-20 and the claim it is all wheel drive. They all are all wheel drive or they would not go straight when they swim. The Argo I have seams to be fairy posy contrary to the claims made on this T-20 loving website. The Argo that I have seam to have a very strong 2speed+ reverse transmission. The T-20 is a one speed

So many people on this site, and all around the AATV community love the T-20 because it is a tried and true design that was used in so many different machines for many years, it is very reliable, and it is not an open differential set up like the Argo transmission. The T-20 was used in machines such as the Max, Attex, Hustler, Starcraft, Sears Sportster, Swamp Fox, Camel Centipede, Chaparral, Vamoose, Tomcat, and even the German made Solo. The T-20 design is certainly good since all of these manufacturers built their machines with it. I have driven many different machines and I had an open mind about all of them and tried to be unbiased since I think all AATV's are interesting, but I can say that the Argo transmission feels like there is uncontrolled transfer of power from one side to the other. When one side was driving in muddy conditions, it all of a sudden would stop when it got traction and the other side would start spinning rapidly without turning the handlebars. Try driving a T-20 machine right after you drive an Argo and you will find this out.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 02-04-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I do not see what the big deal is about the T-20 and the claim it is all wheel drive. They all are all wheel drive or they would not go straight when they swim. The Argo I have seams to be fairy posy contrary to the claims made on this T-20 loving website. The Argo that I have seam to have a very strong 2speed+ reverse transmission. The T-20 is a one speed
    ... Yes, the T-20 happens to be a "one-speed" transmission that is also infinitely variable with the CVT setup. I agree that there is a great benefit to having a low range, which I think the T-20 would benefit from. I'm not going to try to start a huge argument about which is better, but the two transmissions are honestly very, very different.

As dozens and dozens of posts have explored (this board and others...) the T-20 essentially functions as two transmissions sharing a common "sump" and input shaft. One side drives the left, the other drives the right. The Argo is truly an open differential. Truly. I've seen Argo drivers climb up/over/around/through things that a Max has stalled short of. Can you boil the entire thing down to "the transmission caused it"? Uhhhh... no. People like both transmissions for several reasons. Each has its' own downfall.

~m

I do not see what the big deal is about the T-20 and the claim it is all wheel drive. They all are all wheel drive or they would not go straight when they swim.
    That is a misleading statement. Yes, they both are all wheel drive. Can they both put power to all wheels equally? No.

Manufacturer Support

Hey Guys,

I have only had one machine: Max IV. I have had a really great experience with Recreatives Industry. I have spoken to sales, parts, and tech. throughout my brief ownership so far and have received red carpet service.

How are the Argo guys to deal with? Hopefully just as supportive!

Rutledge Fuller

Let me throw this out there to for you think about. The t-20 is only all wheel drive in the direction he planetary is powered in. When you apply the brake on one side, that side is no longer powered. Yes you can slip the power to one side to make powered turns but this is difficult with spring loaded laterals as the sensitivity is lost. Most of the time you are steering with a coast (planetary disengaged) or braked turn. Those with Hustlers and Attex's know the feeling of controlled slip.
    The Argo's can fake the same condition by applying a little hand brake on the tee handle machines and other techniques with the laterals on the older machines.
    if you want all wheel drive you have to go to hydrostatics. If I recall the variable belt drive on the Musketeer was also all wheel drive.. It's all up to the driver.

I Will

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Robio, have you posted pictures of your Argo ?
    I will when the snow melts. I didn't have the funds to get tracks this winter so it is now under allot of snow now . This was a weird year ,it went from summer to winter at a flick of a switch. I even had to dig my sled out and just buy another trailer .I will get it all done as soon as the snow melted but we just got another healthy dump of snow Friday . It is not pretty but it runs fine. I am also getting a used 6x6 soon which I will post as soon as I get it .
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 02-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

+ Reply to Thread