Max or Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Max or Argo

So this is not correct?what is the towing capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    Everyone seems to be forgetting Recreatives does produce a heavier amphibious vehicle for work....the Buffalo truck. It is not a racer and is better suited for hauling and working than anything else out there.

Originally Posted by ToryG
    Hey Mike

Just to back up my prior posting about Argo's making better tractors just check out the factory specs for towing capacity for Max and Argo. All current Max2's, Max4's, and Buffalo Trucks have an equal towing capacity of 1000 lb's. The Argo spec for the 16 HP Vangaurd is 1200lb's and the Avenger EFI 8x8 is rated at 1800lb's.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynuss View Post
    Everyone seems to be forgetting Recreatives does produce a heavier amphibious vehicle for work....the Buffalo truck. It is not a racer and is better suited for hauling and working than anything else out there.
    I think not hehe. Let's put the dozen sheets of plywood that Rock Doctor had on his Conquest on the Buffalo and try a slight off camber climb. The buffalo has a way higher center of gravity even before you load it, the argo has the engine on the floor and a wider stance and wheelbase, and the cargo area starts a few inches off the floor. Low range in tough spots and heavy loads, no problem for the argo. The Buffalo would be burning up belts trying to match the hauling ability of an 8. I had a 1/2 ton of limestone rock in the back of my response, went for a swim in a farm pond. It floated, but was definitly not nose heavy that day

Now if you want to plant a fence post or something, the Buffalo could handle that... just kidding, Jerry.

Anything but a straight line race, the argo loses. In turning effort. Unless it's veeewy, veewy slick.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I guess what I was trying to get at is, it is a vehicle that is not mentioned much. The bed is higher but it is also easier to load and unload and is more of a utility vehicle than any of the others. My back care barely take leaning over and into an AATV to work on it. Lifting things out of the back of an Argo would get uncomfortable really fast.

I have not seen a belt burn up on a Max so I can't comment on that. Everyone seems concerned about the towing capacity and relates it to the transmission. Max has had that towing capacity listed for a long time, even when they had hollow axles and used a bolt for sprocket attachment, and for every machine irregardless of the engine.

How do they measure the towing capacity anyway? It seems to me it would be more related to friction. So do they hook up a machine to a giant fish scale and go forward and it stops at the 1000 pound mark?

Everyone seems to believe it is because of the different transmission. Maybe that is not why the towing capacity is different at all.

I like the giant fish scale idea

Maybe they can add the Fish Scale Pull to the list of Ledges activities.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I did a sled pull at the CPATVA Rodeo 2 years ago and blew off all the quads except the dealer sponsoring the event. I was the last to go and by that time the track was soft. I was inches from a full pull when I started to bounce and the folks running the event flagged me to stop. I think my bigfoot could have kept going.
    Anyway if you want to do a sled pull, some lawn tractor /ATV rigs can be rented for events.

That would be an interesting way to see if they can actually pull what is claimed. Maybe they can do more, maybe less. I think the 1000 pounds for Max may be due to the hitch and nothing else.

At an event a sled pull would be fun. Time to turn the tires around!

+ Reply to Thread