Max or Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Max or Argo

Question Max or Argo

Hi All,
    This being my first thread and never having owned a 6x6/8x8 the obvious question is which one is better/best? I currently own an A/C 400 4x4 man. and a A/C 650 4x4 auto. The main thing I have to consider is which AATV will pull my home made plot master (400+lbs.) best. I plant a lot of food plots in out of the way places. I'm rough on all of my equipment but at the same time I take good care of it. So which one is better Argo or Max?

The HUGE plus about any Max, and some other older machines (Attex, Hustler, etc) is that they are equipped with the T-20 Non-differential Borg Warner Skid Steer Transmission. This is the best most bullet proof AATV transmission ever built that will drive all 6 wheels through the deepest mud holes. It offers TRUE 6 wheel drive, it doesnt make 3 or 4 wheels on one side of the machine drive when one side stops. There is no uncontrolled transfer of torque to either side of the wheels spinning. I wouldn't ever consider a machine without this transmission (except my old Attex racer with the Baker Hill stratight shaft transmissinon but that is a different story). Another plus with the Maxes is that they have the engine mounted in the back, as opposed to Argos that are mounted up front. If I were you I would consider any T-20 equipped vehicle. You could always take an older Attex or Hustler and put a big fuel injected 4 stroke engine like forum member Hydromike did. I know that Recreatives Industries is now producing a Max IV with a 29HP liquid cooled fuel injected Kawasaki engine. Even a Max II with a Briggs Vanguard will give you plenty of power, and if you really want a powerful monster you can get it with a big Kohler V-twin in it. These are some things to consider. Good luck with your AATV search!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

This is going to be a difficult question to answer because there is no perfect machine, it really comes down to personal preference. Also, most everyone is partial to the one they own even if it is inferior. It's just natural to want yours to be the best. With that said, the Max II is the best AATV ever made

I'm kidding. I'm not going to answer anything but the capacity question. Without a doubt the Argo 8x8 can win that hands down...ahhh, the easy out

I combined two threads that asked basically the same question.

[QUOTE ]
    I like this site and for now I'm on it QUITE a bit.. ( wife's not to happy

Tomass,,thats a very loaded question as to which amphib is the best at all you asked about. But one thing I think all the married men on this web forum can agree on , is this :

If a wife is happy,,a married man finds out this real soon,,,,, it,s not for long .

A T20 is true 6 wheel drive, yes it is. That implies it will go where an argo won't. At the Ledges ride this year, didn't an Argo Frontier (differential trans and engine in front) repeatedly climb out of a slick creek bank where II's and IV's had trouble? Not knocking the T20.. I like them and asked Brandon to take his for a spin on the last ride, 'cause I was tired of my clunky 8x8 eating power in the turns. Their geartrain may be bulletproof but the shifting mechanism is delicate. That wouldn't keep me from buying and enjoying one for all the good points they have.

I don't see the point of comparing 'chevy vs ford'. Dealers like to do it as a sales pitch. It depends on lots of things. For example, if all your friends drive max II's and see every tree as a slalom course marker, following them in an 8 wheeler is no fun But the 8 is nice to roll out onto the lake, step into the back and walk around like a deck boat. Owning just one is like having only one car, it won't do everything.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Some of us fall in love and become loyal to the first one we see, others jump from one to the next looking for a new thrill.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Some of us fall in love and become loyal to the first one we see, others jump from one to the next looking for a new thrill.
    And others have multiple ones they love at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Are you talking about women or ATV's???? My wife of 34 years says I don't deserve this much happiness.
    Whipper

I try to avoid the "Us vs Them" Arguments, so I will just tell you why I like my Argos:
    Quality seems to be pretty good, I don't seem to have to "upgrade" to better/stronger parts.
    Maintenance is fairly easy, A few basic tools and a little free time is all you need to "do it yourself"
    They will haul anything a 4 wheeler will, plus the 4 wheeler itself.
    Drivetrain is very strong, and pretty much self adjusting (chain tension)
    High/ Low range is nice
    Will climb just about anything, other than a straigh up, vertical face.
    I have never had any problems making all tires turn at any given time (makes me wonder about the "True AWD" hangup some guys have)
    Very strong transmition (I have only ever seen one damaged, and it was run low on oil)
    Cargo capacity is second to none

I have nothing against any of the other AATV manufacturers, I just find that Argo works for me. There is no rocket science to them, and they work.
    Just my 2 bits worth.

PS. TI don't think pulling a 400lb "anything" will even be noticed behind any of these machines.

+ Reply to Thread