Argo auto tensioners replacement input please

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo auto tensioners replacement input please

Argo auto tensioners replacement input please

I have a 2002 Argo Bigfoot. I believe its time to replace the pads on the tensioners on the right mid section and i was seeking input. How do you know that its time? How tough is it, i have to do it myself and was looking for how much time i need to have before hand? My pads have grooves cut in them from the chain, and i am getting a little slapping on the right mid section when i drive. I know already and have all parts to do the axles, selas bearings on the both sides and was debating ordering some pads and doing them at the same time. Can some one give me some advise, tips...ect? It looks simple enough, pull a cotter pin, slide sideways and pull out assembly- remove slider block from tensioner assembly and replace sound about right?

Your description sounds like you may have the same tensioner system as my '98 conquest.

So, yeah, sounds about right.

I take out the spring and then pull the pin and everything else. You may see that all of the arms are twisted. RogerS taught me to swap the arms around - upper becomes lower and lower -> upper - which will put the twist opposite. I don't know how bad your pads are but you may be able to flip the pads around and have the chain ride on a new area. The arm that the pads are on has a flat spot - it isn't perfectly round - that narrows it so that it fits through the groove in the pad.

Having done one, and if you include time to hit the parts cleaner, 5 minutes per should be plenty of time.

Now again, that's a '98 conquest.

When I look at the prints it doesnt show what keeps the pad in place. Is it just chain tension on the pad and the design of the bottom? If there is no bolt or seet screw keeping it in place can i just yank it off with the chain off? I think i will try turning them around and see if that works, or switch them around between locations and see if i can find a way that works best. I am going to set aside next sat and do a bunch of work and just needed to have an idea before i ordered new parts. Any idea how much pads cost (part# 606-39). Are these made out of nylon?

The pads (slider blocks) just snap / clip onto the chain tensioner. No screws, bolts ect. They don't cost a lot however its been long enough since I bought my spares that I don't remember the ballpark.

By the way, I don't beleive they need to be replaced until they are amost worn through. I bought mine to keep in my tool kit so I can put them on if I have trouble when out on the trail. I have 280 hrs on my conquest and haven't replaced any slider blocks. I look at them every time I'm servicing my machine, about twice a year. Seems the chains cut groves in slider blocks and now they are not wearing past the roller part of the chain. Your slapping problem might just be that you need to manually get your tensioner to tighten (click up one more adjustment by pulling up on and twisting tensioner to next notch)

I will try that, although i did once before and i thought it had helped but it came back. If thats the case with wear then maybe i will wait, I just am attempting to make the drive train mint. My trans wines alot when it gets going, do you find yours noisy? Its the loudest part of the machine. I plan on servicing it next weekend and was wondering if anyone ever treats it with anything between changes?

I have two Argos - a 2000 Conquest and a 2003 Conquest. The transmissions are loud on both of them and are the most noticable thing as they whine. I always run the machine with ear plugs, a habit I've developed from being around big equipment. I bought the 2000 last fall and the tranny seemed louder than the 2003. Instead of wondering about what was going on inside the tranny I pulled it apart last month and to my surprise & delight I didn't find anything that looked bad on any of the gears. All the bearings felt OK too so I put it back together as is. It still seems louder than the 2003 but my worries are eased. My guess is gear mesh or something. If you have owed your machine since new and haven't been grinding gears when shifting I'd just use the color of the old oil when you drain it a s an indication of problems.

A friend that had an Avenger for a while upgraded the chain tensioners on his machine. The new ones had bigger & less teeth on them than the old ones. He was told that this would help keep the chains tight. Never checked into it beyond helping him install them. Does anyone else know something about these?

+ Reply to Thread