engine problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine problems

engine problems

Hi i just got a 1978 argo 6x6 with a 16 or 17 horse tucumpsy xl engine and it runs great has lots o power still but when u rev it half throultle 2 full the engine starts 2 knock but doesnt lose any power or speed

Knocking could be from detonation if the gas is bad or low octane. I only have ever experianced this while under load. May idle fine or drive fine but when you accelerate hard it would knock. If that is not it then other options are bad. Unless the drive or driven clutch are hitting something in the last higher end of clutch travel. Does it do it in neutral? If it does and you can see the clutch's are not hitting anything then could be crank or rod faulure or maybe piston slap. Could also be valve related too, I would check that and tighten them up. I am not sure abouit the exact noise verse rpm or load on the engine crank/rod or piston failure.

This may help you...... Good luck. Hopefully something simple like bad gas or valves need adjusting!
    http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...nformation.pdf

If you look at the number tag you will see the model number. Iit will say oh160 or 0h180. That stands for Overhead valve 16hp or 18hp.

Ya it does it in neutral 2 and as 4 the gas it had old gas in it when i got it so i put in octain bust and new gas and i tightend the valves up on it cause they were lose it doesnt knock at idle just when reved up. i had 2 replase the spake plug coil when i got it would it maybe be i didnt put the coil on the right distance from the flywheel. i had the exact same engine as this one in a terra jet and it had the same knock 2 it eaven after it was rebuilt

+ Reply to Thread