Help with Kohler 2 stroke Carb

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help with Kohler 2 stroke Carb

Inside the carb there is a lever that pushes on the needle valve sealing it into the seat. (shutting off fuel flow) A diaphram actuates the other end of this lever. If the lever is not set right it could cause your problem.
    The smoke and boggyness is not from too much oil, that would foul your plug. It is from too rich of a mixture probably. Check your mixture screws.
    The built in fuel pump is capable of pumping many times the fuel that the motor can burn, so your return line will carry alot of fuel back to the tank. I routed mine back to the supply line.

We are not running two seperate items, Oil and Gas....it is a premix we are using in the Argo...right now it is set to 32-1 or that is the mixture we are running at least....

So basically what I am hearing here is all this can be fixed by just adjusting the carb? The high and Low screws are set currently to one turn out and the lifter on the needle looks to be right...it is near level across....

When people speak of "mixture" in carburetor terms they mean air/fuel and not gas/oil premix. FYI 14:1 is best for emissions usually about 11:1 gives the most hp.

ahhh....ok i understand that part...sorry for my lack of knowledge there...this project is certainly teaching me some things along the way

So any other ideas what could be causing our issues? Thanks

I assume when you start it you are keeping the RPM's hi to keepit running.....turn in the hi speed mixture screw to half a turn out and see what happens.

Two stroke engines tend to spit back out the intake and is normal. Can you get the motor to idle? I assume the engine bogs when you crack the throttle?

another thing to check is the metering diaphragm installation. The diaphragm should have the gasket on the carb body and then the diaphragm. When its assembled in the reverse order the fuel inlet needle stays open.
    http://www.eccarburetors.com/pdf/HD&...e%20manual.pdf

Thank you very much for the manual...we will try the adjustments on the screws and see what happens...will let you know as soon as we know...thanks again for all the help!

Ditch the tiltson all together and buy a Mikuni carb for it. My Kohler K440 has a Mikuni 34mm carb on it and it run WAY better than with a tiltson

I had a skidoo olympique 400 and it had the identical carb to my Kohler 400 with the built in fuel pump. My Argo is a 1970 I think. PM me if you want to see pics of my carb.

+ Reply to Thread