tubing bender help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: tubing bender help

tubing bender help

i need some advice on one of these cheapie benders. Northern Industrial Hydraulic Pipe Bender — 12-Ton | Pipe + Bar Benders | Northern Tool + Equipment
    i picked one up this afternoon and so far have only managed to mangle/ kink some expensive tubing. if anyone out there has one, and gets good results from it, i'd love to hear some tips... otherwise this POS is going back tomorrow and i'll keep borrowing a good bender!
    I am trying to get some fairly tight (but nothing crazy... similar to the bends in this cage)
    if you have one, and there is no chance of getting these kind of bends, please let me know.
    i'm working with 1.5"OD .083 DOM tubing
    Last edited by racerone3; 07-23-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

that type is a pos. try using plenty of lube on the pipe and put rollers on the top two pins
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

race i bent my tubing on a harbor freight bender similler to that one . it worked good jest could not bend 2 the same . i used the tightes ben it would do . doint know what is up with yours . i find out anything i
    ll holler at u are the top roolers rolling at all ????????????? they should roll easey . might have to use oil t\\robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I think trebs got the key with the lube and the rollers.to much friction there.the pipe needs to move just a bit.

i'll give that a try. my rollers aren't bound up, but don't roll real free either. I may have to go use a bender i know to do this cage and then expirement with this bender with any scraps i have left over.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OK guys, This one I'm an expert on. That type of bender will only do large angle bends with heavy wall tubing/conduit/pipe. Segment bending is possible(multiple small angle bends) wilth thinner wall stuff. Now comes the tough part every shoe is different. Tubing is sized by OD outside diameter conduit/pipe is sizes by ID inside dia. The tubing/conduit/pipe must fit tightly into the shoe, otherwise it will flatten the material (egg shape), even with thicker wall stuff. In short, that is not the type bender you want. You want one that has one roller and pulls the tube/shoe across it as it goes like this Model 32 Hydraulic Tube Bender or Google Image Result for http://www.cvjatc684.org/Derek_Bending.JPG

thanks Jim. that's about like the one i'll use tomorrow to bend up the cage. I just went out and lubed the rollers, tried every shoe and killed every scrap of steel i had. this one will get returned and i'll save my pennies for a good one!

If you were a little closer to me....I have access to several different types. BTW this is the kind of thing I do for a living Google Image Result for http://www.detroitbuildingtrades.org/newspapr/BeaumontConduit.jpg

I have the 16 ton Harbour freight model,went through the same problems as you all did.Found out that if you duct tape the end of the pipe and pack it with sand(wet seems better,but dry works)tape the other end closed,I've gotten better results this way.It is a P.I.T.A,but it works.It still is NOT a replacement for a real bender,so don't get your hopes up with it either way.Good luck with your project.

Real good info Buggyman. I'm in a similar trade and build and install Hydraulic systems. The tubing should also be annealed. There is also a wall thickness to bend radius ratio that has to be considered so the tube or pipe does not kink or flatten. Ill post some info over the weekend.

+ Reply to Thread