tubing bender help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: tubing bender help

Hey,,,I Built a RollBar for my 2000' BigFoot,,using 1-1/4 Electrical Conduit,,,it is lite in weight and strong,,only thing is I also had to purchase and 1-1/4 conduit bender,,for like $130 or so,,,and man it was a Job,,,took 3 of us to hold the Bender tight to that conduit,,and then Pull on the 4' Pipe handle,,,Had pics in Gallery of it,,if there still here!,,,Later,,,,Mark

The bends you are trying to make depend on the radius, degree of bend, tube size, material of tube and wall thickness of the tube. If it's kinking, most likely the wall is to thin for the radius you are trying to bend. If you are using something like 1" to 1 1/4" x .083 chrome alloy tubing like you should be, and it kinks on 90 degrees and under, the radius block on the bender is too small; or the bender is a POS.

I've heard you can fill your pipe with sand and weld the ends shut.. then you can use this type of bender no problem. Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through, but it will work.

-Beeman

ok my 2 cents....note you bought a pipe bender....you need a tubing bender...
    a pipe bender is based on inside diameter and tubing is outside diam..so if your trying to bend
    tubing on a pipe bender you will kink it..if you try bending pipe on a tubing bender you will
    probaly break the tool..

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    a pipe bender is based on inside diameter and tubing is outside diam..so if your trying to bend
    tubing on a pipe bender you will kink it..if you try bending pipe on a tubing bender you will
    probaly break the tool..
    upon more research, i found out exactly that. I have a tubing bender that i can borrow tomorrow and the cage will be done. i got this pos for 55 bucks... as I currently don't have a press in my shop, this thing will get modified into one. it should make a good axle straightener I tried using the shoe that actually fit the tubing, and also tried the sand trick with marginally better results, but for a cage that i want to look nice, and be functional I will be going with the proper type of bender
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

you will probaly break the tool..
    You really only need one tool....

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    it should make a good axle straightener
    I was impressed with the board/chain/jack you used at Ash.

probaly break the tool..
    i bent 1.625 x .125 wall .on a harbor fright bender same thing as the one race has got worked beautifuly . it will still not bend the same 2 bends but it worked /
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

for this .083 wall, i just couldn't get the cheapie bender to do the job. it took a few calls, but i found a bender i could borrow. knocked these out in 20min and built the cage this afternoon. i'm going to keep the cheap bender for heavy stuff.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    for this .083 wall, i just couldn't get the cheapie bender to do the job. it took a few calls, but i found a bender i could borrow. knocked these out in 20min and built the cage this afternoon. i'm going to keep the cheap bender for heavy stuff.
    coolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll great job race it did the trick .nice job robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

+ Reply to Thread