440z starter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 440z starter

440z starter

Hi all, i have a 76 attex with a 440 arctic cat engine... Only engine code i can find says 440 2A have no clue what year or anything but there is a hole for a starter, it has a plate on it now but i'm trying to find a year or something so i can begin looking for a starter.. Anyone know if there are more numbers or how i could find the year of this engine? I know it isnt original.. Thanks for any help

Im not 100% sure, but if you put a JLO 400 or a 440 (which were the original engines) there would be lots of us that could help you out. I know that Don, Hydromike, and myself all have old JLO service manuals with every part number you could ever need.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Well i'm actually looking to put another engine in it, i know this engine is very old so i'm looking for something a little newer with lots of horsepower... I'm still new to these, not sure what come stock in them, did they all come with snowmobile engines? Where does everyone buy there engines? The only place i found that deals with 6x6 parts is richards and he doesnt post any prices so i didnt bother with him...

If I were you I would try and find an old Scorpion snowmobile with a 440 Cuyuna in it. Cuyuna is the same as a JLO Rockwell since they actually bought them out. Just about every Attex came with a 2 stroke snowmobile type engine, mostly JLO/Rockwell or Chapparell engines. You could put a Briggs or Kohler 4 stroke for more power at lower RPMs. There are a lot of posts about all of these engines and engine swaps on the forums so just do some browsing around. Good luck with it!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It's probably be easier to find an Arctic Cat starter than a JLO starter. make sure your engine has the ring gear in the flywheel for the starter. I was going to put an electric starter on my old sled and I did. Only to figure out the engine did not have the ring gear on it !

If you need a NEW starter for an older JLO/Cuyuna engine. You can get them from ZDE in Flat Rock IL. Phone # 618-584-3567 They handle parts for the 2si engines, That's the company that bought the rights to JLO/Cuyuna and still produce parts.

Here's a couple shots of a JLO 400 that I rebuilt and put a new starter on.

I'd like to find a starter for the engine i have for now, i wanna get this thing running and rip around before i restore it... It has alot of potential and i have this thing where i have to restore everything lol... I am dying to get this running, looks like alot of fun..... Where is everyone bying high hp engines and what do you recommend?

Hey joem, that engine looks very nice, looks like you put some work into it.. Now i'm a motorhead, been turning wrenches my whole life but know nothing about small engines, never got into them, TILL NOW!!! lol Are these all snowmobile engines you guys are using? I'm thinking not so what are these engines everyone is using out of? What were they built for?

I thought this might intrest someone for the engine

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...spagenameZWDVW

Quote Originally Posted by tony240z View Post
    Are these all snowmobile engines you guys are using? I'm thinking not so what are these engines everyone is using out of? What were they built for?
    Hey Tony,

Most of the two strokes that power our amphibs were also used in snowmobiles; they had lots of applications. My favorite engines were also used in ultralight aircraft. The Rockwell JLO/Cuyuna/2Si has seen many incarnations/revamps over time, and is a very easy powerplant to work on, has amazing power for its' weight (you can pretty easily get close to 40hp out of a 70 pound engine) and it's easy to work on. I also run a Rotax 503, rated at about 52 horsepower with twin Mikuni Carbs. Both engines are air cooled and run CDI ignition. You can always rig up a liquid cooled engine which typically make more hp per 'cc. Personally, I've found it difficult to keep them cool, but others (JerseyBigfoot) have fire-breathing monsters that seem to have no issue. I still play around with the idea of building one again someday...

As far as bang-for-the buck, a nice 440-500 cc air cooled snowmobile engine is purrrrfect for you Attex. Check out the videos of George's 400 Chief screaming around. Itty bitty 400.... scary fast....scary stock... for now

~m

+ Reply to Thread