cage

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cage

cage

I have a 76 attex and was wondering where everyone mounts the role cage... Is the material they are made of strong enough or do you have mount to the frame or that metal strip around the outside? Another thing, this was painted (looks like it was done by a 10 year old), Anyone ever use paint stripper on these bodies? Don't know if it would eat through it or not, that would suck...lol

Hey Tony,
    You've hit on the two most popular methods; mounting to the frame, and mounting to the outside band/body seam. The plastic itself isn't really the best choice, since it has a tendency to give unless you really spread the force out (for example, with a belly band made of steel). It seems that most people consider the steel belly band to be separate from the "cage" itself, so I'll discuss it as such. I have a roll cage mounted in each fashion. The 503 uses a steel belly band (1 1/4" by 1/1/4" angle, 3/16" thick) that fits the body well. Moderator-Mike has an awesome belly band (and cage) that is built in a similar fashion, but his took a lot more effort. I used seamed tubing (1 1/4" dia) for my bars. Something to think about is what you want it to look like in the end. Do you plan on keeping th original seat and engine cover? It's a bit more difficult (but certainly NOT impossible) to mount to the frame itself and keep all of the original amenities. There are lots and lots of cage pics in the Attex Gallery. I've only rolled one machine, and luckily i was going pretty slowly. I actually hope to roll another one someday (sick, I know) to see how my handiwork holds up.

As far as the paint goes, you can spend a lot of time and effort actually sanding it right off. Being a 76, it's likely a polyethylene body, right? In that case, sanding might not be the best option. The poly's have a texture to the surface, and sanding destroys it, and in my opinion, makes it look goofy. Let's start with how well the paint is actually stuck to the body. 'Got any pictures?

~m

I have pics in the gallery, they were just put on, i think 11/24 The paint isn't on there to well, it's half chipped off thats why i thought of paint stripper, and yes it is a poly body, first year of it i think... Thanks for the cage info, i think i'll go straight to the frame and be done with it

i think hydromike has you covered on the cage... as for the paint, i would try compressed air. a blow gun real close to the surface and experiment with the angle. (WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES)!! if that doesn't get results, a good pressure washer might do the trick. your local car wash is pretty low pressure, but the ones you can buy in big box stores put out 2500-4000+ psi
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think a pressure washer is a great start on that body. It ought to blast most of that paint off. I wouldn't try stripper on the body until you're utterly defeated with other methods. It could kill the body.

That TC440A is a great engine, and is made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, I think. It's likely a CDI engine, and is what JoeH had in his racer. It's fast, and could kill you. It's a good start! :o)

I would try to route that exhaust to its original location, though. It'll probably end up melting the body sooner or later. Either that, or rip off the engine cover, rip out the seat, bolt in a single-seat and join us on the track...

~m

A TC440 huh? Whats the TC mean.. I need a starter for this engine but have know idea where to look or what to look for... Pressure washer is an awesome idea, we have a pretty wicked one at work and as crappy as that paint is on there i think it'll work, thank you very much for all the info.. Any idea where to begin getting a starter for that engine? I bought it off a co-worker, older guy, said it's sat for bout 2 months and i have a bad back so ripping that cord is out right now...... Thanks again for the info

for the starter, i'd hit up a snowmobile shop. not the articat dealer that opened 2 winters ago, but the guy off the beaten path who has been doing it forever. if you could bring the machine it would help him a lot in figuring out the right starter
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

take a look

Tony240z,
    Im building a roll cage for my 72 Max2,I dont know what your plans are for your cart?(mudding ,Hunting,racing or what)Mine will be used for Hunting & Mudding.Im learning how to weld, & this is My first project.It looks real tuff & is like a tank.May be some of my pics can help.??Im also putting 25x12x9 mud bugs on My HOG GETTER.The motor that is going in it is a 26 Kohler EFI.Just take your time on your project & I know you can make it what YOU want.Hope these pics help.
    wildtexasranger - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Opps

I forgot to add this SORRY.
    Take a pic of your motor & Im sure Richard on route 6x6 can help you out & give him a call.

Hey Wildtexasranger, I love your cage and I think that is so cool that you got those 25" tires to fit! What did you do to the tub to make them fit? Is there sufficient space between the top of the tire and the tub? That is going to be one nice rig!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread