Amp Meter

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp Meter

Amp Meter

Hi,
    Still getting to grips with my new (new) max. It is a 23 hp Kohler but has started to run rough on tick over when warmed up. Anyone any ideas?
    Also when running the amp meter reads 0 (there is some little movement occasionally). Is this usual (my trucks meter does move to the right when running) The engine runs on the Max when battery disconnected so the alternator is obviously working. I can't go back to the dealer as I bought the last one he had and is now out of the dealership. I have no other Max owners to compare little issues like this with. As far as I am aware ther is only 4 Max's in Ireland.

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    The Kohler will run without the battery connected as the ignition system is seperate from the charge system. The amp meter will only read in the positive side when it is charging the battery. Does it go to the left when cranking the engine? Usually just after startup if you rev the engine the amp meter will move to the right and gradually go back to the centre once the battery is topped up. If you are worried if it is charging put a test meter on the battery and see what voltage it has when running.

Aussie is right , the only time the ammeter will register charge in the positive is if the battery is run down a bit, another way to test the charging system is to turn the key on to the headlight position without starting the motor and let the battery run down for 10 minutes then start it up and give it a bit of throttle to see if the charge goes into the positive
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

If you have a winch, pay out some cable and shut engine off but leave key to headlight or run position and pull yourself with the winch. That should move the needle. Also, with AMP gages you won't see as much movement as you do with VOLT (Which is probably the one you refered to in your truck) gages unless there is a pretty heavy draw on the charging system. That little movement you said tells me that everything is ok. If you decide to hook up a tested to the battery, you should get a voltage reading between 12.6 to 13.6 volts with the engine running slightly above idle.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Thanks alot lads,
    Checked it and refering to your posts it looks like my amp metre is fine.
    Cheers
    Phil

+ Reply to Thread