Axle frozen to inner bearing :(

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Axle frozen to inner bearing :(

My inner bearings looked like this:

This is what it looked like all busted up:

I think this is the exact bearing and mine did not have neither the eccentric collars or set screws:
    FYH Bearings SBPFL205-16 1" Stamped steel plate oval two bolt Flanged Bearing:Ball Bearings:VXB
    The one in that link has set screws but mine didn't. The axle just slid out of them when I unbolted it. It is possible that my inner bearings were missing their collars. As far as the cost from Motion Industries, I do have a break down but it is not with me at the moment (out of town). I think the inners were about $20 a piece and the outers were $24ish. The flanges were around 5 to 7 dollars each. Are the Fahnir bearings the best? Should I just purchase japanese versions instead?
    Al

on the 950 I just redid, I used eccentric collars on the inner and outer. you can remove the bearing from the inner flange, use a punch and hammer to knock it sideways in the flange, then tap the bearing out with a hammer. motion quoted me $83 each for the outers (i think they make up their prices by the day as i got 5 different quotes on chain... just kept calling till i got a quote i liked) it is quite possible that your inners were just missing the lock collar. you should be able to look at the bearing and tell if they were set up for an eccentric collar. if the fafnir's are in the budget, that's what i would go with. i've had the lip that the eccentric collar locks down to break on the cheaper peer bearings that Buffalo Bearing sells. that being said, i have the cheaper ones in my hustler because $83 each was not in my budget! I always order one extra when buying bearings so that i have spares for each machine.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Well I decided to go cheap I bought the 2 bolt flange plate 1" bore 205-16's from TheBigBearingStore.com, they were only $10 bucks each and that included the flange plate. I also bought the 206-19's 1 3/16" bore insert bearings for about 9 bucks each. I purchased the re-lubable 3 bolt flange plates from KSCDirect.com they were about 10 bucks each for the 62mm pair. So I will see how they work out. Worse case I learn that cheaper bearings don't work. But I will keep my fingers crossed. If anyone wants the part numbers for the Fafnir bearings and their prices let me know. After shopping around, the cheapest I found the Fafnir bearings and flange plates was $325.00 out the door. The cheaper ones were slightly less than $200.00 with shipping. I'll post the make of the bearings and how they look when UPS delivers.
    Al

I just received the bearings. They are both made by KML. Here is a question: What is the nub on the outer bearings casing? The old ones I removed look like it was knocked off or removed. Is it used to align the bearing into the indention on the flange plate where the grease fitting is? See picture...thanks.

Change 1: I just realized it is the anti-rotation pin. How does it work in the flange rings?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by arp35; 08-31-2010 at 08:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread