Poker Run

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poker Run

Poker Run

All this talk about high speed runs under perfect conditions got me thinking.

Friends of mine used to do poker runs on the Great Sacandage Lake in NY on snowmobiles. Seems to me that the 2-stroke crowd could open up their machines on a 20 mile stretch of frozen lake with the comfort of knowing that a high-speed malfunction would likely result in a few 360s before coming safely to a stop.

Here's a website on the poker runs.

Visit the Great Sacandaga Lake - The Best Kept Secret in the Adirondacks

There are a few questions that would need to be researched. First off, snowmobilers and ATV riders tend to be at odds with each other over trail riding, would our AATVs be welcome on the ice flats? The website also refers to meeting state and park regulations. What are those regulations? I'm sure it's wearing helmets and I would imagine registrations and insurance are likely to be required. Anyone on this list know the requirements for snowmobiling on state land?

So, what do you guys think? Most of our meets are in 3 of the 4 seasons. Should we try to get involved with this activity and test the speed limits of our machines this winter? Don, no over-heating happening here.
    Last edited by George; 12-05-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    Banned

Oh baby... I'm interested. Definitely. NYS will allow you to register AATVs without much issue, but I'm not sure if there would be separate requirements for the lake runs. I don't imagine the obstacles would be too hard to overcome. The questions which come to mind immediately are:

Access- Can we use simple public-access style boat launches for access to the lakes?

Ordinances- Are there certain times (weekends, weekdays) that we would be able to run?

The classic "double standard"- NYS looks at snowmobiles and atvs completely differently. You can't run ATVs or dirtbikes on snowmobile trails. Many of the sled clubs have very specific use regulations on when they can run. For instance, a local town (webster, ny) has just mandated a minimum of 6" of snow on the ground for snowmobile useage, and they can only run very specific hours. Most sled guys frown on ATV use of their trails. Many of the clubs buy their own trail groomers, and if we go defouling their precious trails.... oh baby!. Just things that would need to be researched.

I like the idea. A lot. Heck, I could top end the R until I get sick of all the noise! Yummy.....

~m

I'm up for it. My machines seem to like the cold better than the heat.

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I like the idea. A lot. Heck, I could top end the R until I get sick of all the noise! Yummy.....

~m

Bring those earplugs, Mike! That does sound like it would be a fun ride. It is more motivation for me to get my racer going!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I found this on a snowmobile forum. It was written by a member in January, 2005 when another member inquired about what the poker runs were...

"On Sacandaga there is a Poker Run every weekend, which started on January 15th. There are 11 host bars (I'm pretty sure 11), anyhow, each weekend a different bar around the lake hosts a poker run. This year you can start at any one of the 11 bars. You pick up a participation form and go to as many stops as you'd like, however many stamps you have at the end of the day is how many cards you can draw. If you stop at all 11 bars and have 11 stamps then you draw 11 cards, you use the best 5 to form the best poker hand you possiby can. You must end at the host bar and you pay at the host bar before you draw. The total cost is $12, $9 goes towards the pot and I think they pay the best three hand, and $3 goes towards the local rescue squad for that area. They are a good time."
    Banned

Sounds like a long ride. We'll need groceries.

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

That's almost worth a 3 day ride. Almost

Whipper

Here's a link to some Ice Racing events in NY.

welcome to ec

I sent an email to the contact asking how AATVs can get involved.

Looking at posts about these events from last year, it appears the ice is thick enough at the end of January and through February.

Who thinks they'd be up for it if we can get this going?
    Banned

TrailPass is listing a poker run on the ice at Lake George. This event is for quads (as opposed to snowmobiles). Anyone interested?

TrailPass - Northeast
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread