Gearing down a hustler??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gearing down a hustler??

Gearing down a hustler??

Hello....newbie to the 6x6 world. I am picking up my hustler this weekend and I am excited as heck! Top speed on these machines is insanely fast....too fast for me, so I was wondering if there are different sprockets available to gear it down? I will post a few pics of the hustler I am getting later today.

On my Hustler 980 Big Foot, the middle sprockets have a larger diameter, thus gearing them down. Im not exactly sure how many teeth they are but you could purchase a sprocket (that is larger than your stock one) for #50 chain at a farm store and make your own middle sprockets. Just make sure you pay attention to your clearences on your lower body tub so it doesnt rub. I cant wait to see those pics!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

You can't tease us with pictures and then make us wait to see them

He deleted the photos

looks like ya'll will have to wait until I pick it up sunday.

well I picked it up today. I will take some more detailed pics tomorrow. Its gonna need lots of tlc and I will need lots of help to get it operational

hey, you and Jeff picked one up on almost the same day. From the pictures, the body and tub look to be in good shape? Are you going to keep the rack on it?

Looks good! Judging by the pictures, it looks like there is a factory Hustler windshield there too. Keep us updated on the progress.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I am gonna keep the rack, I think it will come in handy. I am not sure about the "exhaust snorkle". I hope this kohler two stroke isnt too finicky. If it is I will be putting something else in.

It came with a factory windshield, I am not sure if I will use it, but I will keep it around JIC. The tires all appear to be in good shape. The tub has a few bolt holes in it, dont know if its below the water line or not but I am going to seal them up.

The cage/winch mount/hitch arent bolted to the frame. They bolt to a plate on the inside of the tub. That doesnt seem safe to me, what are ya'lls thoughts?

I can tell you that Hustler tubs are made out of the thickest polyethele plastic of all the AATVs out there. I know exactly where you are talking about where it mounts, and I would say that you might want to have your cage mount on some pieces of 90 degree angle iron that run along the sides of the body. Take a look at how a Max IV cage mounts and do something along those lines. It still doesnt bolt to the frame, but it is super strong. Recreatives Industries has been doing it that way for many years, and I can tell you that a friend of mine repaired a Max IV that some 350lb guy rolled a couple times and the factory cage and mounts held up just fine. Hope this helps.

Thats a good idea. Here are a few more pictures. I need to make some kind of mounts for the shift cables because they move too much. I would really like to move them up to the dash.

+ Reply to Thread