T-20 Bearing failure symptom?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-20 Bearing failure symptom?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hey Vin,

I feel your pain. I had to open up a T-20 four times in the course of a weekend this summer. They go back together faster each time you do it. I'll look at it with you the next time you have it open if you like.
    George, I was going to ask you just that. My place or yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    this might be a really stupid question but i'm gonna ask anyways , does it make the noise without the belt on ?? (you said you changed the rollers and springs , that would be the primary) or only when it is on
    Yes, the clutch which I was referring to is the primary. I read that it is a "no-no" to run a primary without the belt on, therefore, I did not try it.

no it will work ok but it may stick in the closed position when it idles back down again and i just push it in a bit and it snaps back out again, (the counter-weights simply go over center) the only reason i ask is to eliminate the possability of a problem in the primary, if the springs are'nt in place or have poped out from behind the counter-weights then all-heck breaks loose inside the primary and it'll rattle your brains out
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

no it will work ok but it may stick in the closed position when it idles back down again and i just push it in a bit and it snaps back out again, (the counter-weights simply go over center) the only reason i ask is to eliminate the possability of a problem in the primary, if the springs are'nt in place or have poped out from behind the counter-weights then all-heck breaks loose inside the primary and it'll rattle your brains out
    We'll it's making the noise with both clutches< the IBC and the Salisbury 780. The noise comes and goes with the engine RPM. My theory is that I trashed the transmission bearing because the belt was too tight. Your thoughts?

ok, i just find it hard to belive that you could have taken out the brg without it being obvious , another possibility is that the secondary bushing is toast, not from too tight but being run dry, you said it sat for sometime before you took it out, did you spray some lube on the secondary shaft to lube that bushing that it slides outwards on ?? to check that bushing you'll have to remove the secondary and on the end you'll find a snap ring, (caution ; when you remove the snap-ring the secondary will pop apart and sometimes a bit tough to get back together) i just put it in a vise to keep it from POPing in my face, once the tension from the big spring is removed (pull the big spring out) you will be able to slide the two halves easily ,check for snug "and" smooth sliding, if the two are sloppy "at all" you need a new bushing pressed in, i keep the shaft and bushing lubed with a good quality spray lube,,,,,, i just tend to doubt that it is something inside the trani
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

ok, i just find it hard to belive that you could have taken out the brg without it being obvious , another possibility is that the secondary bushing is toast, not from too tight but being run dry, you said it sat for sometime before you took it out, did you spray some lube on the secondary shaft to lube that bushing that it slides outwards on ?? to check that bushing you'll have to remove the secondary and on the end you'll find a snap ring, (caution ; when you remove the snap-ring the secondary will pop apart and sometimes a bit tough to get back together) i just put it in a vise to keep it from POPing in my face, once the tension from the big spring is removed (pull the big spring out) you will be able to slide the two halves easily ,check for snug "and" smooth sliding, if the two are sloppy "at all" you need a new bushing pressed in, i keep the shaft and bushing lubed with a good quality spray lube,,,,,, i just tend to doubt that it is something inside the trani
    I didn't think of that. My secondary was toast, so I had purchased a relacement from Richard's Relics. It was new. Installed it and it was fine. But I will follow your advice. Question: exactly which "good quality spray lube" should I use?

Are the needle bearings inside where your shaft comes out thru bad there is a set insde the drive sprocket on the side your secondary clutch mounts on i had a set go bad and it made some terrible noise when in nuetral and in gear these bearings ride all together in a cage.

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    Are the needle bearings inside where your shaft comes out thru bad there is a set insde the drive sprocket on the side your secondary clutch mounts on i had a set go bad and it made some terrible noise when in nuetral and in gear these bearings ride all together in a cage.
    I'll have to check when I crack the case. If they are what I think they are, they looked fine when I split the case a few months ago.

George and I tore the tranny apart today. I just want to give George some well deserved kudos. He spent all day with me tearing that thing down and diagnosing the problem. He's a great guy who is emblematic of the people on this site. I want to thank Don as well. He gave George and I some solid advice in our efforts to diagnose the problem. BTW, the issue was the input shaft bearing. In the next installment, we'll remove the bearing and replace it with a new one. Thanks again to George and Don. Uncle Vin

great to hear you had the problem nailed all along, wow that brg went quick, good to know for future

+ Reply to Thread