T-20 Bearing failure symptom?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-20 Bearing failure symptom?

T-20 Bearing failure symptom?

I purchased a new clutch and installed it. I think the belt was too tight. Anyway, now my transmission is making an awful rattle sound -- even in neutral with the engine reving. I reinstalled the old clutch and it is still making that awful sound. I am afraid to drive it. Could I have blown-out the transmission bearing? Please give me your thoughts. Uncle Vin

Its quite possible. How much wiggle is in your output shaft. If there is enough where you can see it move, I would tear it down and check it out. Could have blown the bearing, lost the retainer clip, or had the wrong bearing in there to begin with without a retainer clip. Good luck.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

try shifting it back and forth maybe its not all the way in gear?

That's not the issue. I checked. The symptoms occur even in neutral when revving the engine. Sounds terrible.

tear it down..

I don't see any way around it. This will be the second time. I tore it down when I restored the machine approximately 4 months ago. It had been sitting for 10-plus years. The plungers were frozen, which necessitated the tear-down. I'm not looking forward to tearing it down again. Mike's step-by-step instructions are excellent, but I wish we had a rebuild video. I might as well change out the bands this time. What is the correct thickness of the band material?

eh there Uncle vin, how you doin ?? when you tore it down 4 months ago have you ran it since ?? or is this the first fireup since ?? if this is the first fireup you may have reassembled it incorrectly, my expierience guess is maybe the planetary gear shims/spacers ,did you get them all in correctly ?? or maybe you didnt get the pin for the for/rev in the correct slot ,are both sides shifting properly and you can feel the gear on each side slide??
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

I tore it down, then I ran it for at least 150 miles. I took it on a few trips. Went to Tug Hill (upstate New York). It was fine, but I couldn't leave well enough alone. My drive belt would sqeal when the machine was pushed hard, such as going up a steep hill. Maybe the Richard's Relics-supplied belt was too tight -- who knows? I figured that the sheaves on the old 780 clutch were worn. When I restored the machine, the clutch was frozen solid. I freed-up the clutch and changed the rollers and springs. But the clutch was just not doing well, it was noisy, etc., so I decided on a clutch upgrade to a new IBC clutch. I found out about the IBC clutch on this board. Some guy had a bunch of them that he was selling on Ebay. $145 later, I had the new clutch. The belt was tight, though. I ran it to test the clutch. I took it for a short spin. Ever since then I've been getting the symptoms. Noisy as all heck. Maybe I need a drive belt tension clinic?

Hey Vin,

I feel your pain. I had to open up a T-20 four times in the course of a weekend this summer. They go back together faster each time you do it. I'll look at it with you the next time you have it open if you like.
    Banned

this might be a really stupid question but i'm gonna ask anyways , does it make the noise without the belt on ?? (you said you changed the rollers and springs , that would be the primary) or only when it is on
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

+ Reply to Thread