Alabama Bands

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alabama Bands

Alabama Bands

EDIT: it seems that Alabama Bands is no longer willing to do our bands, so the information in this post may no longer be relevant

Just got my bands back from Alabama Bands.
    they came packaged in 4 separate white boxes just like Richard Clark sends his in. friction material looks to be about the same in color as his as well. the band it's self is .060" and the material + band is between .105" and .110, so .035 to .040 of actual friction material. I don't have a scanner so i took a picture of the invoice. not great but you can read it if you squint. price was $32/ band.
    if anyone has a new set from recreative, or a relined set from Richard, please measure the material thickness and post it up for comparison.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by racerone3; 09-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for the info Race. I have 8 bands that need relining so your info will come in handy.

I second the motion about the band thickness. Good call.

just a follow up, I called Richard and he said his relined are .115 i'd still like to see someone who has a set measure them and post the numbers that they come up with. he also mentioned that .100 is the thinnest band he would reuse on a rebuild, which is the same # that Don has always told me.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I just measured mine out of curiosity. The two with lining measure .100. The two that are bare measure .07 inches. So I am going to send all four to Alabama bands and get them relined. I'd rather spend $140.00 for four relined bands then spend $436.00 for four new ones if the results are the same. Do you think Alabama bands did a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by arp35 View Post
    I just measured mine out of curiosity. The two with lining measure .100. The two that are bare measure .07 inches. So I am going to send all four to Alabama bands and get them relined. I'd rather spend $140.00 for four relined bands then spend $436.00 for four new ones if the results are the same. Do you think Alabama bands did a good job?
    I have never seen a new set of bands, but compared to ones i've gotten from RC in the past, these look just about the same.

I spoke to Jay at Recreatives and he said the ones they sell are $109.00 each new. His explanation was that why spend a little less for the refurbished (relined) and just go with new bands. But he was comparing his price with RC's relined ones. But if you compare the new price with Alabama's then there is a huge difference Can you PM me Alabama's Bands address? I couldn't find it on their website.

Now that you guys have 'Bama bands, and the thickness they will reline to.. you could dig out all those trashed drums, resurface them, put a temporary liner on a band making it the right thickness, install on the cut drums, cut and re weld to the "right" length, and send off to be relined.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Do we (collectively) know who produces the bands for the T-20 in the first place? Who's the original supplier for new transmissions? I know Buffalo Gear up in Sanborn does much of the machining and final assembly, and SanCasT does the initial casting.... would love to know the rest of the process/ contributors to who makes one of our most beloved parts....

~m

I just boxed up my bands and then I thought to myself... I hope it is obvious which bands go where when they come back. Is it??? Are there two left and two right side bands? Meaning you can't mix up the rights from lefts but the two on each side are the same? Let me know!
    Al

+ Reply to Thread