Alabama Bands

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Bands

Quote Originally Posted by mark m. View Post
    That's exactly what my first thoughts were.

I could reline these myself if I knew what friction material it is, where to get it, what adhesive they use and what procedure for prepping the metal prior to bonding. In the past I have been successful relining the Terra Tiger clutches but with different material.

I have searched the web hoping to find these ingredients but came up short. So if any of you has some insite to this please do tell.

Somehow I feel like we are being held hostige again forcing us to go to a "prefered" supplier.
    i wonder if several of us got together and called saying we would ship in 10 sets at a time, if the manager would see things differently?? i'm bored today, i think i'll call down there and see if i can find out what the story is.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'd be more than happy to circumvent Dick Clark and go to Alabama myself/ourselves if a group rate is in order. We'd be foolish to think that this board isn't regularly trolled by him, and that he's likely disenfranchised by people already doing so. It's a shame that Alabama caved so easily (if this is indeed what happened). I doubt they fired up an entire production line each time someone sends in a set of 4 bands. Isn't there ususally an economy of scale for the consumer? Wouldn't they relay a higher cost to an individual for relining 1 set vs. 40?

If indeed the corporate decision was made because it harmed other production lines, it certainly seems like it could be alleviated by sending in a mass quantity of bands to be relined as a large batch.

I'd love to get more details. Let us know what you find out.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I'd be more than happy to circumvent Dick Clark and go to Alabama myself/ourselves if a group rate is in order. We'd be foolish to think that this board isn't regularly trolled by him, and that he's likely disenfranchised by people already doing so. It's a shame that Alabama caved so easily (if this is indeed what happened). I doubt they fired up an entire production line each time someone sends in a set of 4 bands. Isn't there ususally an economy of scale for the consumer? Wouldn't they relay a higher cost to an individual for relining 1 set vs. 40?

If indeed the corporate decision was made because it harmed other production lines, it certainly seems like it could be alleviated by sending in a mass quantity of bands to be relined as a large batch.

I'd love to get more details. Let us know what you find out.

~m
    Mike,

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if someone called and asked what the break even point would be for the quantity of bands. I checked out there website and they lead you to believe that small batches and oddball stuff would be no problem Hmmmm.

This really gets into the grey area of business on these machines. RC seems to think that he has a monopoly on all things Amphib apparently that includes outside vendors that he does business with (assuming that's what happened in this case). Tough call for Alabama bands what to do about a client that squawks about individuals going to the source. But that is what RC does, he is a professional middle man. I don't begrudge him for trying to run a business however its a free market and if we can get stuff cheaper then what he offers so be it. I don't mind paying extra for decent customer service but that has not been my experience with him in the past. Yes I do believe he trolls this site and pirates the ideas. I wonder if he's contacted Northern tool not to sell us the rack he sells for twice the cost I lost respect for him years ago when my wife tried to buy some stuff as a present and she wasn't sure on my Max IV year. He basically yelled at her and hung up.

There are a few transmission companies on the web that do relining service maybe someone else might be able to reline bands for us.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

I brought the letter to work today from Alabama Bands and you are all correct. The "Dane Enterprises" is "Richards Relics". The phone number in the letter is the same as his...so Dane equals Richard. I have no problem buying items from Richards, in fact, Mike who is his partner or co-worker has been really helpful on several occassions. I was just a little excited to find out I could get 4 bands relined for $140.00 vs the $280.00 RR's gets after you return your old ones. That seems like a hefty profit for just mailing a box of bands to Alabama. I would think $50.00 a band would be more reasonable. How come Richard or Mike don't actively participate on the forum? Was there a problem in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Mike,

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if someone called and asked what the break even point would be for the quantity of bands. I checked out there website and they lead you to believe that small batches and oddball stuff would be no problem Hmmmm.

This really gets into the grey area of business on these machines. RC seems to think that he has a monopoly on all things Amphib apparently that includes outside vendors that he does business with (assuming that's what happened in this case). Tough call for Alabama bands what to do about a client that squawks about individuals going to the source. But that is what RC does, he is a professional middle man. I don't begrudge him for trying to run a business however its a free market and if we can get stuff cheaper then what he offers so be it. I don't mind paying extra for decent customer service but that has not been my experience with him in the past. Yes I do believe he trolls this site and pirates the ideas. I wonder if he's contacted Northern tool not to sell us the rack he sells for twice the cost I lost respect for him years ago when my wife tried to buy some stuff as a present and she wasn't sure on my Max IV year. He basically yelled at her and hung up.

There are a few transmission companies on the web that do relining service maybe someone else might be able to reline bands for us.
    Very well put micmac,I agree 100% with your opinion. Joe.

heck, give these guys a call Transmission Crafters

"we custom reline "
    1-800-535-0414

~m

It's funny you posted that Mike because after I made my last post I did a search and Transmission Crafters is what I came up with too. It looks like they have all the materials. Strange I didn't see that on my previous searches.

How come Richard or Mike don't actively participate on the forum? Was there a problem in the past?

I think richard is the silent type around here. Early on, he had more hits on this site than anyone else without being public about it.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

talked to the owner of Alabama Bands for about an hour today, and got no where. he claims to have done some for RC in the past, but none in "quite a while". he basically stated that these are a PITA to do and he has to pull someone off one of his production lines to do them. i grilled him about the websites claim that they do one off and vintage bands and he rambled for 20 minutes without really saying anything. looks like we need to look for another source. if anyone else wants to try, the owner's name is Jimmy Turner, and the # is 1-800-805-8126. I also asked about doing a bulk run. reply was "then i would have to set up another line and hire more people, so the cost would go up considerably"
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread