1 1/2" hustler axles???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 1/2" hustler axles???

Question 1 1/2" hustler axles???

I need to completely redo the driveline in my Hustler project, I am wondering if anyone has used or sees any downside to using 1 1/2 CR solid steel for the axles. I have a 10 foot piece in my back yard that should be about enough to make all new axles with new bearings, sprockets,l chains etc. Also plan on beefing up the frame and adding some C channel or angle iron for the inner bearings that is futher away from center..
    Also thinking of using smaller (less teeth) drive sprocket on the axles and lowering the axles an inch or two if possible for increased ground and body clearance. plan to run 25" tires
    Oh last question is about the chain tensioners. Any reason not to use idler sprockets instead of the stock plastic bushings?
    2000 Land Tamer with Tracks.

That's a big expensive program, even if you are replacing all the sprockets and bearings the existing outboard frame is not tall enough to change to bearing larger than 1 1/4". You would need new frame rails, also the center backbone sits on the bottom of the tub and the inboard bearings cannot be lowered. I have 25" Rawhide 3's on my 950 that do not rub.

Well I tend to overbuild everything and I was also thinking about a full custom frame but thats good to know about the outer bearings... I'm gonna look for some 1 1/4" steel today and see if any luck

Any ideas on the chain tensioner questions?

FWIW. If your looking for steel to make new axles. look for 1144 stressproof. It has one of the highest yield strenghts without any heat treating. It machines well and it is relatively cheap. If you cannot find anything local try Speedy Metals online.

Made some nice axles for my Attex and Blackbird from Niagara Lasalle Fatigue proof.

Well I decided to go with the 1 1/2" stock that I have here and happened to find another 2 ft long piece at the local metal recycler so I have enough to do it. lust from looking at the 1 1/2 next to the original axle I really think that bending will be a non issue just due to the additional thickess of the metal.
    Oh, I got the K341 running last night after a carb and fuel pump rebuild. seems to purr real well... Will put chains on the trans to just run the center axles as I need to see how it does with torque and speed before deciding on what size drive sprocket to replace the original with. I am gonna do a full frame and driveline modification on this hustler. would like to be able to run the tracks on 24" or 25" tires without using the spacers. so will change to rims to some ATV style probably 10" diameter and do custom length axles to get them where I need them. Probably modify the tub a bit where the seat is as that protrusion seems to be the biggest interference to tracks and larger tires

I went with 10" polaris rims, the offset is to the outside which allows for shorter axles. The selection of tires for the 10" rims is far greater than the selection of tires for 8"rims.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 WHHEELS OR BUST View Post
    I went with 10" polaris rims, the offset is to the outside which allows for shorter axles. The selection of tires for the 10" rims is far greater than the selection of tires for 8"rims.
    Yeah the selection and availability of tires and rims was the main reason to switch to 10's also lots of choices on rims then too.. if I can make the rim reversable I could go with an offset like 2:5 then just flip rims to opposite sides for tracks and gain 3 inches wider on each side...

Yay! I am finally getting to start my Hustler project. Need to get a hold of Buffalo bearings to see if they do triple seal bearings for 1 1/2" bore. I have found the rest of the stuff I need an will order once I get the buffalo bearings ordered. I did get it running enough to test out tranny and clutches and they are all good. Also acquired a nice ESAB 875 plasma cutter so will be able to cut all my new axle hubs etc...

Just ordered the triple sealed bearings from Buffalo Bearing. should get them in a couple weeks at most. 1 1/2" bore are $21.77 each. So the build-up will begin... once all my sprockets arrive I will go get the 1 1/2 inch rod cut with a keyway down the whole length. the rest should be pretty straight forward. Sold the PPT so I am using that money to do the Hustler project...

+ Reply to Thread