stock engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stock engine

stock engine

Ok, i'm getting the stock engine for my 76 superchief.. It's a 500, not sure who makes it yet but either way parts will be easy to get for it right? i'm having problems with this 440.. It'll start and run for bout 3 to 4 mins then shut off, start right back up and do the same thing, i replaced the fuel line and filter but between this problem and the starter situation i think this engine will make a good boat anchor... I'm gonna rebuild the original 500, get as much power out of it as i can and just replace everything.... Sound like a plan? lol after going over this thing today, it needs torn down and gone over... I can't stand things not working right... I guess i'm gonna buy another one that already runs and works right so i can take my time with these other two.. If i don't have one to play with i tend to get in a hurry.... I'm sure you guys don't give a rat butt about all this but my wife doesn't listen so i gotta tell someone my plans....lol I'll take pics as i go and post them

Hey Tony,
    If the 500 you're getting is indeed the "original engine", it has to be a 484 Chaparral. It's the only "500" that came in the Superchief. Parts are relatively easy to find, but they don't make the engine anymore to my knowledge. Still, points, pistons, rings, coils, etc. are pretty easily located. We can help you out as you may need things.

Don't send the 440 down to Davy Jones' locker right away. It's still a pretty valuable engine, and if it's sitting running for 3 or 4 minutes, it can't be a serious problem. It sounds a lot like the fuel pump may not be able to keep up with the needs of the engine. That may mean a couple things; either the pump itself is bad, or the pump isn't be supplied with an adequate vacuum pulse from the engine, which in turn may mean that the crank seals are leaking a little. That's not really a difficult job to perform. Someone will definitely see value in it. Ebay it at a bare minimum to build up the Chap!.

Just so you know, we ALL give a rat's but about "all this stuff". It's why we're here!

~m

Ok then, i guess i'll try to sell the 440, biggest reason is the starter and i would rather have the original engine and being bigger doesnt hurt either... I agree with the fuel pump... Kinda what i was leaning toward... The 3 or 4 mins it runs it runs good... What i meant by you guys not giving a rats butt is that i tend to babble, sometimes i can go on an on and not really talk about much...lol anyway, going tomorrow to buy another frame, then next weekend i'm getting a body, not sure yet what engine im putting in it.. Thinkin about a ninja 600r or something along that line... That would be alot of fun to build and ride... who knows...lol

+ Reply to Thread