jerking clutch?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jerking clutch?

jerking clutch?

hi! my argos clutch from the engines output shaft is sticking. when i give it gas in will rev up to maybe 5500rpm and then i can see the clutch just snap onto the belt. once i get going its ok but starting is tricky, if i give it gas slowley say like 10 seconds the clutch will slowley engage the belt but i dont want to wait 10 seconds every time i stop! so how do i fix this?

I'm no expert but is this the original clutch or something taken off a 2 stroke snow machine ?

Does it have one main spring or several smaller ones ? Are there small little nylon or brass pucks that the two halves slide on when it closes ? If these are worn it will stick. If the spring is week and the pucks worn then maybe it's twisting back to the relaxed position too far and is actually locked open.

Can you close it by hand by twisting it ?

put a video on i think you will get more help

The clutch needs lubricated. Best bet is to remove it from the machine to disassemble it partially to lube it.

thanks guys! it is the original clutch from a skidoo safari, the engine is a rotax 377. i cannot turn it by hand to make it close but i can turn it and the engine will turn over. i did not see any pucks that it slides on all just metal.

You should be able to squeeze the sheaves together with your hands when they are working. The trick is to clean and lube it with getting lube on the clutch faces. That's why its easer to take the clutch off to do it. You may also have some rust and corrosion under the clutch cover. Search the site for clutch rebuild and go from there.

i will asume you meant "without" getting lube on the face. hmm it looks hard to take off! i will try my best at lubing it. thanks!

The outer sheave should come off easy. There should be a bolt in the centre and a spring inside. It sounds to me like the dogs may have a flat spot on them or the shaft is rusted.

+ Reply to Thread