quick question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quick question

Question quick question

hey guys,this is mathew here and i'v got a quick question for you guys.i'm getting my lerners in oct.and I want a good truck to pull 2 or 3 machines with and I was just wondering what you guys perfered.
    "Ooo, neckties.....contracts.....HIGH VOLTAGE!!"

WOW! your opening up a bigger can of worms than the MAX vs ARGO debate! my F-150 with the 5.4 V8 pulls anything i've ever asked it to. i figure trailer + 3 machines + rokon + all our crap on the trip to Ashtabula was in the 6000 lb range, and on a long trip I have to be careful not to forget the trailer is back there.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nice job, Cuz. Now you've done it. I doubt anybody will be able to stay on topic, and this will degrade into a "I've got a bigger truck debate", but I'll throw in my two cents.

You could throw a bucket of water on a match and just say get a F350/Chevy 3500/Dodge big diesel whatever at it, and be done. That's silly, though. Two to three machines (like your Attex, or even the BIGFOOT) doesn't way a whole lot. A tandem axle trailer isn't going to way THAT much. You can get away with a 6000 to 8000 tow rating, no sweat. If you're getting your permit and need a first truck, this opens up miles and miles of choices for you.

I've driven the 5.4 F150s for work, and it was quite pleasureable to drive with 1900 pounds of water just sitting in the bed. It's a work of utilitarian art, in my opinion. My Grand Cherokee pulled three tons without breaking a sweat. It has an 8000 pound tow rating, but the ZJs (and WJs) are often overlooked by folks because they don't have a bed. You know what I drive currently, and I love it.

Look at cost of ownership, cost to buy, engine choices, blah blah blah.... most full size trucks tend to keep their resale value quite well, which puts a lot of tow vehicles out of your immediate range for a starter.

Do you have any current favorites?
    ~m

toyota
    Last edited by trebmaster; 09-10-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

well the amount of time I spend posting on the Ford Truck Enthusiast Forum I can't let this one go by I'll throw my 2 cents in for the 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel. Just a super reliable,long lasting engine in a good platform, either a F250, F350 or Excursion (my current daily driver)... Do not waste your money on the newer 6.0 or 6.4... Older Dodges with the Cummins 5.9 diesel are also great but they are in a Dodge and the truck tends to fall apart around them. I have no love for GM. I would stay away from the independent front suspension esp if 4x4... if getting full size...
    If you give us a budget that you are looking to spend you will probably get better recommendations. do you need 4x4 or not too?

You are not going to be over 5K lbs towing so just about any half ton with pull what you want with ease... as hydromike said, many mid size SUVs and trucks will do fine too... If you are looking for cheap, look for something with plenty of available parts at your local self serve junk yard.. the ol' 4.0 inline 6 in the jeep cherokees is a good choice and the drivetrain is good too, one of the few smaller 4x4's with a straight front axle... new and used parts are cheap the V8 grand cherokees can be had pretty cheap too.
    2000 Land Tamer with Tracks.

CUMMINS ENOUGHT SAID but as soutthpaw said 7.3 ford 4x4 if u wantt to go ford are super relible . but i love my dodge cummins would not have nothing elese .
    . robbie

I have no love for GM. I would stay away from the independent front suspension esp if 4x4... if getting full size... ?

the ol' 4.0 inline 6 in the jeep cherokees is a good choice and the drivetrain is good too, one of the few smaller 4x4's with a straight front axle... new and used parts are cheap the V8 grand cherokees can be had pretty cheap too.[/QUOTE]

amen on gm and ifs . robbie
    Last edited by Mike; 09-10-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts.
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Well that depend on who your are dating. Most women don't like the smell of diesel. I love the smell of diesel, but it gets my wife nauseous. other important question: who is financing it? The bank wont probably finance anything older than 5 years. Your Dad? Worst than a bank, payments are too vague, might require some sort of chores around the house. In the end its what ever you can afford the feels right.

Thanks, guys. He's already making me crazy with every Swap Sheet and classified ad he can find. "Look, Dad; it's a '92 and only 6 thousand dollars!" He needs no encouragement! It will be nice when he can pull a second trailer to Ashtabula, though. We'll bring spares for nubies to race.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Dodge cummings

Your young get something completely impractical like a unimog or some other army surplus monstrousity.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread