Oh Crud...Argo Transmission Fluid

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh Crud...Argo Transmission Fluid

Oh Crud...Argo Transmission Fluid

I'm getting an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) from Argo so I can register my 8X8 which is the law in BC. While waiting on this I've been nit-picking the old girl getting ready to take her out on my first big run. I checked the transmission fluid level and was dismayed to smell 90 weight gear oil on the dipstick instead of ATF. That was the bad news. The good news was the oil only went up the dipstick about 1/8th of an inch. It's my understanding that 90 weight is not good for the bands in the transmission so I dumped 2 quarts of mulch-purpose ATF to counter-act the 90 weight.

So any suggestions as to what I should do now? I would like to drain and flush it out but don't know how to drain the transmission (or the engine for that matter). Any advice would be much appreciated.

This is an argo? then 90wt is the right fluid. It's the t20 trans in other makes that use atf.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I thought the Argo's ran gear oil in the gearbox.RI max's run the atf because of the t-20 internal bands.Run a search to make sure.

I think you only need to register it if you want to insure it. None of mine are registered.

Argo's do run Gear Oil in the Trans.

Ah! Thanks guys. When I read about the ATF I thought it sounded off b/c my Argo is an 83 and the tranny grinds like an old Studebaker. Nothing automatic about it. I'll run the ATF/90 weight cocktail for a while then drain, refill with fresh oil. Please tell me there's a drain bung somewhere. The fill hole is about the size of a pencil, and my hand pump will take forever

I'm in the lower mainland so anywhere I go I'll have people stacked ontop of me so the insurance is a must. I'm also going to use it on the water so I have to register it for boating purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by 8footedFloatGoat View Post
    I'm in the lower mainland so anywhere I go I'll have people stacked ontop of me so the insurance is a must. I'm also going to use it on the water so I have to register it for boating purposes.
    Hey Goat, I'm in the BC LMD as well. Drain plug should be at the bottom, center of the transmission facing the driver's position. It has a square head nut.

There is no requirement to register your Argo or any ATV's in BC, they don't require plates. You will need liability insurance if you want to run on the Forest Service Roads (FSR). You can get your insurance through ICBC or private companies like Capri (Capri | Home Auto Travel & Business Insurance, Wealth Management) who is the company I use. Boats under 14' don't need registration or Hull Identification Number (HIN).

Here in Alberta you need insurance and registration for the Argo if you want to use it on crown land. Heck I might even need a boat license to be on lakes.

If you have an '83 Argo, the "official" transmission fluid is 80w-90 Hypoy C, which is currently only made by Castrol. I personally just swapped out my fluid and went with Amsoil 80w-90 Synthetic, and it's running smooth as silk.

BCSteve Thanks for the info. Sounds like I read something wrong. It wouldn't be the first time! Where do you take Argo? I've not really had mine out yet. A buddy recommends Chipmunk Creek near Chilliwack. I camped at Murray Lake up the Coke and ran into tons of ATVers who were really friendly and courteous. I can't wait to get the old girl out.

+ Reply to Thread