T-20 INPUT shaft bearing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T-20 INPUT shaft bearing question

T-20 INPUT shaft bearing question

I just dove into my 4th T-20 rebuild of the summer. looks like this one sat parked on a side hill with the right side down for a long time! everything on the right is in beautiful shape, and everything on the left is rusty. when i tore it down, the input shaft bearing stayed on the shaft and pushed the seal out with it. the bearing won't turn at all, and i suspect the needles are rusted to the shaft. I can cut the bearing off and polish the shaft out no problem. i'm just wondering if this is a standard bearing that i can pick up at the local bearing house, or something i have to get from RI? all the other parts polished up pretty well and the only other thing i've found that needs to be replaced (besides seals and bands) is an output bearing (which i have), and a detent spring (which i may have)
    I know that the output shaft bearings are special, but the needle bearings for the sun gears can be sourced locally. i've never had to replace the input bearing so i thought i'd throw it out to the experts.
    anyone know if this is a standard bearing, and anyone have a part # for it?
    Last edited by racerone3; 09-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 04:12 PM.

I believe whipper is right. I think I read on here about it being similar to standard but is narrower then the standard off the shelf bearing. I remember it getting into a discussion of why RI would do that and believe it ended up with people saying they would just by the bearing from them to help support RI. I bet if you did a search on it you would run into it.

agreed ri is the place to go. I believe the beaing is 1/100 shaved down on each side to accoodate the clip that holds it in. My t20 was "redone" prior to me purchasing the machine and the guy used the wrong bearing and the gear broke right off the output shaft. Almost ruined the case too. Don't cheap out here it's only trouble.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

i thought the one in the case that the OUTPUT shaft rides in was the undersized bearing? i'm talking about the small needle bearing pressed into the clutch side output shaft that the input shaft rides in. I have no issue buying from RI, but if this needle bearing can come from the local bearing house, i can have this T-20 sealed back up by tomorrow night
    Last edited by racerone3; 09-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motion's got the input bearings. If you need the number I can probably dig it up. The old ones can be a bear to remove even when they're in good shape.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks Don, if you can dig up the # that would be a big help. i think i can still read the # on the old one, but if you have it, i can double check before i get one. mine should be easy to remove. it is stuck on the input shaft, so i should just need to cut the outer race and let all the needles fall out. I need to try to get the clutch off the input shaft so i can get a better angle at the bearing with a cutoff wheel. i took the clutch bolt off, and filled the bore with PB Blaster. i'll let it sit overnight before i even mess with it!

Sounds like you're having loads of fun with this one already. The bearing you need is Timken #BH-1612
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don is right with that bearing number. I have obtain them from my local bearing house. Race just be carefull using that old input shaft. It's sort of iffy polishing out the rust pits with out changing the shafts dimension. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mark m. View Post
    Don is right with that bearing number. I have obtain them from my local bearing house. Race just be carefull using that old input shaft. It's sort of iffy polishing out the rust pits with out changing the shafts dimension. Just a thought.
    Will do Mark. I have a spare input shaft in good shape, so i may not even bother with the old one if it looks bad.

Thanks for the # Don, that's what i had from the old one but i wasn't positive if the 2nd # was a 6 or 8... i'll check the local bearing house today, and then dig around in the box of parts for a detent spring

+ Reply to Thread