Help ? about 18 hp Argo 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help ? about 18 hp Argo 8x8

Help ? about 18 hp Argo 8x8

I am looking around at rigs and ran across an 8x8 in my area. It has an 18hp briggs in it and I am curious about its power level. I am seeing the same 8x8 out there with 25 hp motors. How will a rig with a 18hp vs a 25hp perform in a marsh setting with tracks? I would guess the 18 would be under powered with the tracks, but I am new to this whole game!

Help

Steve

18hp is less than 25hp and therefore less power.

Then again..... I imagine that your question is more in the form of, are you making the right choice in buying the 18hp 8X8 then getting something else with a stock engine that is more powerful?

Well, that question is answered by purely a matter of personal choice, unfortunatly. However to guide your choice, you must understand the reasons for which you would want tracks/tires, more power/less power. Considerations could be fuel consumption or mileage, weight of the vehicle (for towing or winching or lifting), traction vs speed or price (to name just a few).

Although I do not know hardly anything about Argo's I would say that if you want to run tracks, you will probably want more power. Traction is only good if you have the power to use it... otherwise, you may as well be running without the tracks.

I don't have tracks, but my argo 6x6 has an 18hp. I can tell you it has plenty of power. Myself weighing in at 250lbs, and my best friend at 275lbs, then all oure gear 75lbs + cooler with beer! 25lbs, and the trolling motor! I have no problem in mushy soft mud, and have towed a small trailer behind us for 2-3 miles, no problem at all. The trailer was about 900lbs with another friends boat on it! Power has never been an issue with me, the 18 has done just fine. I think you'r power will not effect you as you think it will!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Horse Power

My Argo Conquest has a factory 18hp & with the tracks it goes almost everywhere I ask it to!! Common sense will prevent you from over extending your vehicles limits. If not, that's why there's a winch on the front of most AATV's

Don't forget about a 30ft extension. I seem to get stuck with nothing near by!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

My Argo has a 18hp Kohler Magnum. I was never in a situation where power was an issue. 18hp is plenty for most aatvs in most situations.

Thanks Guys

I appreciate all your feedback! I am going to take her for a run on Sunday I think. I really wanted to hear from someone who ran tracks on a 18hp. That helped alot!

Argo 8x8 Pricing

I am test driving an 8x8 tomarrow and would like your guys input on pricing. It is a 2003 with low hours. I think less than 100. It also comes with a canopy, bilge pumps and winch. The guy is asking 8500, is this a reasonable pricing? From what I am seeing it is Ok but nothing special. Is there a blue book for these things some where?

LiveClean

LiveClean,
    I am no expert on the 8x8 but I do own one and spend a lot of time looking at them on ebay and the list.

That price looks pretty good. Low hours are always good.
    Make sure that both cyclinder are firing and that you can turn the machine from a stop(in high gear). I got mine and it had a misaligned cyclinder head. It took me some time to figure it out but now works great.
    Pull the back floor panel up and see if there is any rust on the chasis or water under it.

IMHO ask $7k and see if he bites.

Good luck.
    Joe
    Skid aka Joe

Quote Originally Posted by liveclean View Post
    I am test driving an 8x8 tomarrow and would like your guys input on pricing. It is a 2003 with low hours. I think less than 100. It also comes with a canopy, bilge pumps and winch. The guy is asking 8500, is this a reasonable pricing? From what I am seeing it is Ok but nothing special. Is there a blue book for these things some where?

LiveClean

It depends a lot on what the market will bear in the area that you are shopping. I don't know your location as it was not listed in your profile. The asking price sounds about average for my area. If he is the original owner, I would ask him what he paid for it and ask to see the invoice from the dealer.

NADA and Kelly Blue Book cover Max and Argo in their ATV/Motocycle section. I don't think that they reflect realistic pricing for our machines at all. You can search the Web for these guides and get their values.

eBay prices are all over the scale but it will give you an idea what people are asking for them and what they sell them for.

This Argo is on Craigslist now: 2003 Argo 8x8 wheel amphibious ATV - $8500.

It's a Conquest with low but unspecified hours, winch and an outboard motor mount. Nothing special and it's the same price you are looking at. What are you looking at a Response or a Conquest? The canopy top is a high cost option.

There is a 1997 Conquest near me for sale at $4250.00 It has 300 hrs., super tracks with ice cleats, winch and a canopy top. I think it's too high for a an 11 year old machine.

Good luck and tell us how your test drive went.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

+ Reply to Thread