Got Ice?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got Ice?

Got Ice?

I got an unexpected camping trip, and never left home

Ice storm. Every blade of grass has a coating of ice as big as your finger. Massive power line and tree damage. 1 in 3 Oklahoma residents without power. Am sure Kansas, Missouri and others are the same. We have power crews coming as far away as the Carolinas.

I backpacked Colorado so have clothes and gear, know how to handle this and even have fun. Can't imagine how people survive in cotton socks, etc

Oddly quiet and beautiful at night.. a dark city with just ice glistening. The world is my ice box.

12volt power converters.. I love them.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Had ice...

Hang in there Roger... Last October 13, Buffalo got socked with the earliest large lake effect snow storm. We had 22" of heavy wet snow from Buffalo, to my house which is 52 miles away. Nearly every tree was in full leaf, so the damage was absolutely incredible. I only had about 10" at my house, but was without power for over a week. Luckily, it wasn't too cold, with daytime highs in the mid 30s. Millions, upon millions of trees were taken down. Some estimates are that it will take nearly 100 years for some of the forests in a narrow 10-15 mile wide band to fully recover.

It was deathly silent and dark for that full week. It reminded me of my hikes in the Rockies, the Sierras and the Olympics. So many stars....

~M

hydromike hang in there and send some of it south we need some.

Roger,

I know where you're coming from on the ice. Several years ago, we had a pretty good ice storm here with heavy damage to trees and power lines. It was nice and quiet around where I live. That is, until I had enough of sitting around in the dark, and wired my generator into my fuse panel and fired that sucker up. The only thing that could be heard for miles was that screaming Tecumseh engine. I still have neighbors that won't talk to me because I had power & they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Roger,

I know where you're coming from on the ice. Several years ago, we had a pretty good ice storm here with heavy damage to trees and power lines. It was nice and quiet around where I live. That is, until I had enough of sitting around in the dark, and wired my generator into my fuse panel and fired that sucker up. The only thing that could be heard for miles was that screaming Tecumseh engine. I still have neighbors that won't talk to me because I had power & they didn't.
    sweetttttttttttttt i have a miller bobcat welding generator . 8 k watts .

although it's not quite a storm... or anything.. it's just cold up here. I thought of a video a buddy of mine made. Here's the link

http://69.31.235.169/argo.wmv

It's not an argo and I'm the guy with the corona. (sorry for the beginning stuff.... kind of a mix video I guess).. plus, it'll take a while to download (be patient... its my home computer :P and wireless to top it off).

Beeman
    Last edited by Beeman; 12-12-2007 at 12:48 AM.

here's a google link for it:

Redneck Fun

Hi Roger,
    Hope your situation is getting better out there. We missed the brunt of that storm. I live in a rural area on 5 acres. When the power goes out it is usually several days before it comes back on. I have a generator built in as a backup system complete with automatic start and transfer system. No power no heat or water etc. In your situation its a good thing the temperature didn't plunge below zero. Keep us posted on your situation. Be safe!!! I bet your ARGO is getting a workout.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread