hustler chain help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hustler chain help

hustler chain help

so i have a hustler 950 and it has alot of problems the first one is the belt slips like mad.how do i tightn it up.2nd the chain that goes to the tranny and the middle sprocket always gets lose.i can tighten the mess out of it and than i ride down the rode its poping and loose again.Now it is stretched.both sides do it.

Hustler never incorporated a provision for adjusting the belt on it's machines. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but it's frustrating. The only cure is to modify your motor mounts to allow adjustment (or keep buying new belts). The main drive chains may have the wrong spacing on the adjuster bolts. If the bolt doesn't bottom out in the kendorf channel or have a really heavy washer to pinch against the channel on the sprocket side, it doesn't tighten up enough to hold the idler in place. Good luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by huntingtheworld View Post
    so i have a hustler 950 and it has alot of problems the first one is the belt slips like mad.how do i tightn it up.2nd the chain that goes to the tranny and the middle sprocket always gets lose.i can tighten the mess out of it and than i ride down the rode its poping and loose again.Now it is stretched.both sides do it.
    You either need a new belt (old one is stretched too much) or you would need to be able to unbolt the engine and slide it back to tighten the belt. As far as the tension sprockets up near the tranny, it sounds like the bolts are either stripped or they are too long and when you tighten them they are bottoming out against the back of the bracket thus not putting full tension on the sprocket. To fix it you either need to add some washers so the bolt doesn't hit the back or replace the bolt with a shorter one especially if it is stripped. I hope this helps...

here is a shot of my modified motor mount from my 950 to give you an idea on what needs to be done. my slots aren't too pretty as i didn't have access to a mill and cut them with a carbide in a die grinder

for my chain adjusters, i used a 3/16" X 2" piece of steel plate, drilled 2 holes in it for adjuster bolts, and now use 2 unistrut nuts to hold tension. here is a pic to better explain you can get more unistrut nuts from mcmaster McMaster-Carr
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread