Cold blooded?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold blooded?

Cold blooded?

Figured some of you Canadian boys could help with this.(since its always cold there) My b&s engine is beyond cold blooded such as when its 40 or less out it doesn't like to idle after starting up on its own and will continue to hunt of awhile. Any suggestions to remedy this during winter?
    I've tried increasing my idle speed but then my clutch engages.
    The feat of sinking a max is a badge of honor.

Hi:
    Sounds like it's too lean to me. Rich runs rough, lean surges.
    Cold air is denser, therefore more O2 enters the engine, so you need more fuel. Not a big adjustment, but even the generally less picky 4-strokes work best with an optimum mixture. Richen the low speed a little bit, and you should loose the surge, just make a note because if it runs fine in warm weather now, you'll want to go back to this setting as it warms up.
    (A Litmus test is to use a little choke. If some choke eliminates the surge, you're too lean. If not, sticky linkage can keep the governor from operating smoothly and that will cause a surge too.)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

hi guys, i don't mean to hi jack the thread but i've got the same problem. this started on sunday while riding, if i stopped to rest the motor,18 hp b&s, would stall unless i gave it some gas. while running it seemed fine and idled fine before on previous rides. it's a 2001 argo bigfoot and it's new to me, less than 3hrs on it from me, so i'm not familiar with the motor. i also have some questions being a motor novice:
    1 where is the adjustment for the fuel air mix other than the choke. the motor will idle with quite a bit of choke but smoke and runs rough if given throttle at that choke setting.
    2 the foam ring around the air filter is quite dirty so how to clean or where to get a replacement, part number?
    3 the air filter is also quite dirty so same question, where to get a new one and part number?
    4 grease what kind is best and where to get? i'm referring to greaseing the bearings and such.
    5 will greasing the fittings prevent water leaking in around the axle bearing?
    6 is there anyway to even up the steering levers when applying the brakes? the right engages sooner and touchier than the left. reservoirs are equally full.
    thanks guys any help is appreciated. i have an owners manual and just downloaded the parts manual are there service manuals?

trevor

1 where is the adjustment for the fuel air mix

behind the little black grille between the carb and flywheel cowling. Has a plastic limiter cap stuck on it, remove it.

2 the foam ring around the air filter
    3 the air filter

wash in slovent
    either a small engine supply or Napa, etc

6 is there anyway to even up the steering levers

take the firewall out and pull the dust cups back on the master cylinder bores. Work the levers and see if the pistons get pushed out, near flush with the back of the bores. If not, disassemble and clean/replace piston and seals. Mine were just a little sludgy and I cleaned, although master cly kits are very cheap.

If the pistons are springing back fully, then adjust the linkage. You can adjust the threaded rod and locknut to take out unnecessary play. You will see a collar with set screw, that limits how far back the piston can move. Factory setting is flush with bore, I think. I set mine a 1/16 or 1/8 farther in the bore. You can pull the tops off the cylinders, and as long as it pushes some fluid out at the beginning of the braking stroke, you havn't gone in too far. This setting allows less play in the levers. My threaded rods were seized and I broke one, so go easy.

service manuals?

beaverdamargoatv
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

+ Reply to Thread