A 20A voltage regulator upgrade for a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A 20A voltage regulator upgrade for a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine

A 20A voltage regulator upgrade for a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine

Yesterday I did the winter prep work on my Max II. In addition I installed a high-power 20 amp voltage regulator because I've been through two standard regulators in four years. I drive my ATV a lot (720+ hours so far), usually with the headlights on, and I think the standard regulator just isn't designed for the constant 8 amp current flow. The standard regulator starts to switch on and off either providing no power or a very high current implying a very high voltage. Either way is not good for battery.

The high-power regulator has thicker wires and a heat sink. It can't fit flat on the engine like the standard regulator so I used some stand-offs to make a gap between the engine and the regulator. Hopefully this will help keep the regulator cool.

I was pleased to discover that a high-power regulator existed. My original plan was to wire up two standard regulators in parallel.

I uploaded some pictures to the gallery.

Hey mountain man,

sounds like a great mod. How about posting some parts # etc for thr archives.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

The part I put in is Briggs and Stratton number 808297 but apparently it's been replaced with part 691573. B&S sells it direct for $100.

I have a Vanguard Bandolero Engine. Is it possible to install the 20 amp Alternator to up the juice? Your regulator upgrade just beefs-up the regulator, it does not produce more juice, does it? Uncle Vin

My friend Lori installed a Performance V-Twin in her Max 2. I had Al Hodges install the 20 amp stator and regulator when he built the engine. Maybe check with Al at Performance to see what the parts are. He may have the parts to do the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    My friend Lori installed a Performance V-Twin in her Max 2.
    Well, ALL RIGHT. What did she get? How many horses?

Bridget

lets just say it's enough. Check her out on the Busco drag strip. She didn't want to run it full throttle without a helmet.

Check her out on the Busco drag strip. She didn't want to run it full throttle without a helmet.
    I saw that video. I didn't know she had a new motor in it. Smart lady not to run it full throttle without a helmet. Took me a while before I felt comfortable to run mine full throttle and I've got suspension. Next time, get her a helmet there, Marc.

Bridget

My friend Lori installed a Performance V-Twin in her Max 2. I had Al Hodges install the 20 amp stator and regulator when he built the engine. Maybe check with Al at Performance to see what the parts are. He may have the parts to do the conversion.
    I looked at the B&S website and they sell the stator for a little less than $50. The only question left is whether the factory wiring on a Max IV can handle the increased current. Anyone know the answer? I like this upgrade. Uncle Vin

Here's the conservative maximum ampacity of different sizes of copper wire:

18ga: 10A
    16ga: 13A
    14ga: 17A
    12ga: 23A
    10ga: 33A

I don't know but I've been told that the 16HP B&S V-Twin in my Max II had a 16 amp regulator. This implies that the wiring is 14ga. If you install a 20 amp stator and regulator, and you plan to use all that current, then you should probably make sure the wiring is 12ga.

+ Reply to Thread