Fuel Filter location?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Filter location?

Fuel Filter location?

Does it matter where the fuel filter is located along the fuel line? For example, should it be closer to the fuel tank (in the front of my Hustler 950) or closer to the engine (in the back near Kohler 25)? I currently have it within a foot of the fuel tank near the corner where I can see it (clear glass type) but am considering moving it closer to the engine. I also noticed that the filter only fills up about 1/3 of its capacity during operation. Also should it lay horizontally or can it be positioned vertically? Does it matter?

By the way...I had my inaugural ride in my newly restored Hustler. It did not go well at first because the engine would bogg down at full throttle. After some serious investigation I figured out I had the air filter in backwards Dohhhh lol. I noticed the air hose was collapsing when going full throttle. I have the top mounted heavy duty air filter on the Kohler and there are two air filters in the canister (inner and an outer). I had somehow inserted the inner filter backwards. I fixed that and then scooted about 40 mph up and down my street. I discovered that the tranny will turn right but is not quite willing to turn left. So I need to adjust the tranny, the plungers are not equally spaced. I will try my homemade spacer tools and then measure the difference between top/bottom till I can get the 5/16" movement. I took some pictures and will post them tonight or this weekend. The only things I have left to do is recover the front seat and back rest and decide how to mount the rear cargo basket.

You can leave the one in front to take stuff out of the tank and also put one in the rear in case your fuel line starts breaking down . horizontal or verticle, it does not matter. The small engines we use do not use enough fuel to fill a filter so what you are seeing is normal. Certain mounting positions may offer a better water trap than others, but I'm just thinking out loud.

+ Reply to Thread