12-15 Ride

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12-15 Ride

12-15 Ride

McCoy and I went riding this past Saturday around Mountain Island Lake for a couple of hours. I think that I got stuck more times that day than all other times combined. I should have known that we were going to be getting stuck a lot that day because when we first turned off the pavement onto the trail/dry lake, McCoy was ahead of me and he got stuck less than 100 feet from the pavement.

We were mainly riding in a place that is normally a shallow section of the lake but due to a rain deficit this year, the area has several acres that are now "dry" but muddy. You would be driving along and all of a sudden the 6x6 would sink. The ground didn't look any different but you immediately knew that you were sitting on your belly.

It was funny because McCoy and I were both stuck at the same time several different times that day. Luckily most of the time we were able to winch to each other but there was one bad time where we weren't that lucky.

McCoy and I both jumped out of our AATVs and took no more than three steps when we sank 1-2 feet ourselves. One of my legs sank down in the mud and as I tried to shift my weight to get it out, the other leg sank. My pants were pushed up by the mud and my boots filled up. They felt like they were getting sucked off. Luckily I looked over at McCoy and he was spreading his weight out over the mud so he didn't sink as much. I followed his lead and was able to crawl back to my Max and use the roll cage to pull myself out of the mud.

McCoy did most of the dirty work from here on out. He braved the quicksand-like mud to hook up my winch. I was supposed to drive around and come winch him out but I got stuck AGAIN. Poor McCoy had to do all the winching of his Argo himself.

Finally after getting stuck 5-6 times we left to get lunch. The rain was about to set in and McCoy's family was nice enough to invite me to a delicious rib lunch. What more could you want. A morning of six wheeling and a home cooked meal. It doesn't get any better than that. A big thanks to McCoy and his family for the hospitality.

I put the pictures in this album if you want to take a look. Most of the have a title that includes the word "stuck" http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=535

Looks like you all had a god time! I got stuck like that in the edge of a pond, I'm a rather determined kinda guy & worked it for about 30min to get free! We call it pudding here! It's like trying to drive in jello pudding!!!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

That is a serious stuck and I think the only amphibious vehicle that might have made it through there would have been this:

Rolligon Corporation - Go Anywhere Any Time

Rolligon Corp. - All Terrain Vehicles - Bodyload Units - RA-15
    Last edited by jpswift1; 12-18-2007 at 03:23 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'm still cleaning the mud out of my boots.

At least you took a lot of pics!

I always wear tall rubber boots or at least have them with me, even if it's dusty at the trailhead

When my argo was new, I took it to the Rockies in Spring snow. I had 18" tracks. Sitting around the house before the trip, I thought what if I have trouble and have to walk out, or just step out of the vehicle? Went out and bought snowshoes.

Your escapade shows how much recovery gear a guy needs if he was out alone! I guess the snowshoes would work in mud
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    That is a serious stuck and I think the only amphibious vehicle that might have made it through there would have been this:

I know what I want for christmas!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post

tracks will go .

Hey JP,

I pass that place all of the time...they have some BIG machines there.

Scott, maybe you should pick one up to use as your second machine.....or at least stop and take one for a test drive!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

JP...by big I mean I would need an 18-wheeler to pull them! My goal is no 2nd machine (except maybe a Coot)...I wanna have the all-purpose ultra reliable Hustler! Although it has broken down 3 out of 4 outings, I feel that the breakdowns are becoming less serious in nature. Basically it is a good day when I don't have to push it up on the trailer!
    Last edited by boncrshr; 12-18-2007 at 10:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread