attex 400 chief

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attex 400 chief

attex 400 chief

New toys... as far as i can tell its a 73? serial number is gone..... anyone know what the outter and inner bearing #'s are??? The numbers are worn off the bearings. Too bad someone cobbed a 440cc kawasaki motor in it. But runs good and transmission seems good. IMG00086-20101114-1247.jpgIMG00089-20101114-1249.jpgIMG00088-20101114-1248.jpgIMG00087-20101114-1248.jpg

Living up to your name huh?

well being who my father is.... I have to, it kinda helps finding these things.... whole or parts....

I've got the inner and outer bearing numbers for you......Buffalo Bearing will have them in stock for you. That's a really good looking Chief! I bet it'll really clean up nicely. It's a 1973 model because it has the chrome headlight bezels.......I believe only the 74 and 75's had the rubber grommet type headlight bezels, while the 73's had the chrome steel ones.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I would stick with a Fafnir RA100RRB outer bearing for the Chief. I don't know if Buffalo Bearing will provide you with a Timken/Fafnir product unless you specifically ask for it. I've had quite a bit of trouble with their cheaper bearings on my eight wheeler. The inner race has tended to break where the locking color lock on. This has happened on 6 of my 8 outers so far. I've run Timken/Fafnirs on those since, with no issue. I think I got the Fafnirs for around 15 or 17 dollars each when I last bought some from Motion Industries in Tonawanda. You can always ask Buffalo Bearing and see if they can get a more robust bearing, too.

~m

Hey Mike, I got a set of those Fafnirs and they fit perfectly as the inner bearings on my 440 Thunderchief, but the outer race wasn't wide enough to fit in the outer bearing flanges for some reason......I never could figure out why. I ended up going with the ones that Buffalo Bearing sells for the outers, but make sure they're double or even better, triple lip seals.

Buffalo Bearing told me they'll order Timkin, Fafnir, or any other bearing manufacturer that you'd need.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

And I was just checking out that engine a little closer and it looks like it might be a Yamaha 440. I'd imagine that you shouldn't have too much trouble at all finding a JLO 400 to get the machine back to original condition. And you could always put that engine on ebay to offset the costs of the JLO and new axle bearings.

VINTAGE YAMAHA ENGINE MOTOR 440 CDI YAMAHA EX440 MOTOR - eBay (item 260694581855 end time Nov-24-10 13:48:21 PST)

I've had the same experience as H-Mike with the outer bearings. I've had to replace all the ones from buffalo in my wild wolf because of the same broken locking collar issue. i'll stick with the fafnir from now on.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread