[B]Getting heat at -30c (-22F) from your Argo[/B]

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [B]Getting heat at -30c (-22F) from your Argo[/B]

[B]Getting heat at -30c (-22F) from your Argo[/B]

Here's a few idea's from the last few days of testing and riding,

I went out with my Avenger at the above temp and my new top, I also have the Argo optional heater. I found that the heater would blow lukewarm (at best) air, and only after 10 minutes of driving, it was okay inside, but NOT hot. I expected HOT air like a car to come out of the vents.

So into the garage we go, I taped over about 3/4 of the exhaust vent with tinfoil tape (used for ducting) and also used the old school car trick...... Cardboard with a 5-6" hole cut in the center in front of the rad.

Next day out for another ride, not as cold this day about -22c (-8F) but WOW, it wasn't long before the jacket was off and the drivers door was part open. Next off came the tinfoil tape. I found that just the cardboard was enough, the air out of the vents is HOT now and when left to idle it stays at 3 bars on the guage and continues to blow HOT air. It's a world of diffrence, in this warmer temperature it would hit 4 bars when running across the ice for long periods and the heater fan off, so I would just kick the heater fan back on and Whammo, back to 3 bars. I don't expect that problem when the temp drops more though so it is set pretty good for now.

If it runs cold in REALLY cold weather I will just tape the exhaust back up a bit.

The other big thing I noticed is that the heat coming through the front engine panel into the cab was cool before and now it is hot, like in the summer, so I am getting the engine temp up where it normally is and that gives a lot of heat into the cab alone.

PS
    We were the first people to travel across the lake yesyerday up here... 1 more advantage to an ARGO!! Cut a couple random holes and there is about 6" already !!!
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    With near every option Argo makes
    and a few they don't

6" of ice? Wow! Thought I heard someone from Manitoba a few days ago on the CBC Radio saying that the winter in Manitoba is not the typical winter anymore. He must have been down south somewhere. :-)

That tip sounds great. I'm gonna have to try it. I've got the 2009 Argo Avenger 750EFI as well. I have the canopy and the heater and you certainly are right about the cool air. After using it last winter though, I was very surprised at how much heat was in the cab anyway, generated by just the engine itself. So much so I was thinking I didn't even need to buy the heater. Guess it's a little different with temps like you're experiencing though.

Even in the summer, with no canopy, (heater not on, of course) if the windshield is up, it is way too hot in the front seat. Have had to put the windshield down on quite a few occasions just to become comfortable.
    Last edited by Zircon; 11-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.

I know what you mean about summer, I was running with the hood off on real hot days or your legs would feel like they were on fire. I ordered the hood scoop and screen from the 2010 HDi and installed it, looks way cool (i put led lights in it to match my interior lights) plus allows the engine compartment to run cooler, just tape it up or cover the screen for winter. I imagine they put it on the new ones to help cool things off.

Yeah watch what you hear from CBC, most of it does not reflect the truth, usually they spin the facts to make a more interesting story, but they are also from Winnipeg which is 500 miles South of me. They are correct though, our winters have been milder and less snow the last few years, 4-5 feet of snowfall was normal 10 years ago, now we get maybe 2-3 feet and only a couple weeks of wicked cold instead of a couple months.

We will see 3-5 feet of ice on our lakes this year, extensions on your ice auger are the norm around here. Can't wait to try the Avenger in the deep snow !!!
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    and a few they don't

Do you have any close-up shots of that hood scoop? How much trouble is it to install? How are those tracks working out, by the way?

It's very easy to install, line up and center the scoop, mark 4 holes, drill to 1/4" then remove scoop and place screen on hood mark 1" smaller than screen and cut with jigsaw. Then just use 1/4 machine screws and bolt screen and scoop to hood. I will try to get you some pics but it is real easy. Also as it is winter now I did not install the screen yet, only the scoop. I am waiting for spring to cut in the screen.
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    and a few they don't

Quote Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
    Do you have any close-up shots of that hood scoop? How much trouble is it to install? How are those tracks working out, by the way?
    i once got stuck in summer following a big excavator and high centerd on the big middle ridge, that was once in over 1000 miles ,
    check out numberonecas's and mine vids on you tube if you want to see argo's with tracks on in action ,
    personnally i will never remove the tracks love em that much ,

+ Reply to Thread