Battery/Driveability

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery/Driveability

my friend and i cleaned the carb last night. spent about two hours doing it and it was easier than i thought. certainly stopped spitting fuel out of the top of the carb. going to clean the fuel tank tomorrow and hopefully that will finsh all my idle issues. while at it i'ld like to replace the fuel filters and the lines. thanks for the input Roger S! i have a few more questions for you though, what size is that tubing for the fuel lines..standard? and what fuel filters are you using if you say you use automotive items? the argo is sitting a half hour away and can't get there till tomorrow so i would like to get the parts today before heading up to do the work. once again thanks for all the input from you guys!
    trevor

I think the fuel line is 5/16". Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. it's early and havn't had coffee, and am out the door soon. Fuel filters, I guess the argo had a normal car filter on it, the ones I don't like are the miniature lawn and garden filters. Sometimes you have to look a bit to find a filter with 5/16, as most of them are 3/8.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

So im driving the argo down the pavement, wide open throttle, let off to slow down then get back on it and POW! flame out the exhaust everytime from wide open top speed, to off throttle, then back on it. WTF!?!?! scared me at first! Ive done "key bangers" on street bikes before but that was killing the ignition. why is my argo blowing a flame out the exhaust?

Why is my argo blowing a flame out the exhaust?

because your valves need adjusted.

Found this old post, seems like the same issue with mine. Going to try a few things today with the carb before I check the valves. Maybe this post with help you trevorakm1. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...idle-help.html

spent a couple more hours pulling the gas tank and was going to replace the fuel lines but just drained the tank and scraped it. there was no residue or dirt in the tank so all is good. my machine must have just needed a good cleaning of the carb. the jet looked like maybe a peice hair may have fit through before cleaning. runs like a champ, thanks for all the help here guys! cleaning out the carb is simple and easy for a guy who has never done anything like that before. do you guys run stabil in the fuel even though still using the machine frequently? i keep getting different opinions on the topic.

trevor

Hi Trevor, Not a bad idea using stabil. Gas goes bad real fast these days. Charrette, where are you in Me. I ride the Sanford/Wells area with The Junkman. Good luck with your rides Mike D

Mike d, I live in sanford! you my neighbor? haha where do you live?

Pulled Idle mixture screw out and cleaned out with carb clean, re-installed and machine runs alot better but not mint. drained the gas and added new gas, changed the spark plugs. Going to check valve lash tomorrow when I get home from work (thats where my feeler guages are). Still need to fine tune that mixture screw. But machine is down until I replace the chains.

man lots of good info around here for a newbie. i think i hace my carb issues resolved but still want to get at that mixture screw. the cap just doesn't seem to want to come of and i'm nervous to break something. the only issue i have at the moment carb wise is a backfire when i shut down, mixture too rich possibly, anyone? also acharrette i want to replace all the chains on my bigfoot so keep posting with your search results. i think i'm going to do the bearings at the same time. my argo takes on water thru the rear left axle. i have't jacked it up to check for wiggle on wheels yet so i may just need grease. what do you guys use for grease and where to get it? i see homedepot has several kinds any advice? not knowing the machine from brand new i figure i want the moter sound and then the drive and bearings and i should be somewhat bullet proof, then the goodies. not being the mechanic type, i think i can conquer this one especially after fixing my idle problem, thanks for everyone's input.
    trevor
    hopefully riding up in freedom maine soon!

+ Reply to Thread