Choke Cable?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Choke Cable?

Choke Cable?

I'm looking for a choke cable for my attex. It has the original rockwell jlo engine with the mikuni carb. I had to get a throttle cable made for this setup and was able to do so successfully and so I thought i would be able to get this same business to make a choke cable. Turns out that they aren't able to make one for me because they can't get the parts to make a pull choke like the original cable and so now I am having problems finding one. I've checked with all the local powersports dealers and no one is able to get anything providing the needed length. I have also checked with Recreative Industries and they didn't have anything that would work with the mikuni carb since all their machines are four strokes these days. If worst comes to worst I can go with the modern day choke for the mikuni carb which is just a pull knob on the carb but this will be very inconvenient for me provided i will have to lift the engine hood every time I need to choke it. Has anyone ran into this problem before, and does anyone have any advice for me as to where to find a choke cable or where i can get the parts to make a choke cable for my machine?

I'm assuming you're running a Mikuni VM28 to VM32 carburetor on your JLO, with the traditional plunger style "enrichener", what we all call a choke. This is truely a cable, and not a rigid wire, correct? The plunger on the VM carburetors doesn't vary a whole lot, and you may be able to use something appearing HERE. I've used one of their cables and a splitter to run the enricheners on a pair of Mikuni VM34s, and it worked well. If you don't see the parts you're looking for, give them a call.

~m

yes mike your correct, it's the actual cable type and not the rigid wire. I actually have all of the parts such as the brass fittings that screw into the carb and the brass barrel which slides up and down inside the carb, the only thing i'm missing is the pull choke lever that mounts inside the dash. I have this as well but there is no way to attach it to a new cable since it is a crimp on type. You wouldn't happen to know by chance where I can get a new one of these would you?

Post a picture of the end of you choke pull. I'm sure someone one here could figure out a way to connect the two together. It wouldn't have to be a connection that was able to push the brass barrel back in because of the spring. Right? Maybe drill a hole, thread the cable in, and they get a crimp on fitting from Lowe's. Just a suggestion, but I have no idea if that is possible without seeing the end of the pull lever.

Nate

Call motion pro and tell them you want a custom choke cable. They where able to make a custom throttle cable and choke cable. They where great to deal with and will make you exactly what you need.

Motion Pro - Quality Motorcycle Cables, Tools and Controls
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Motion Pro can make it for $40 if you send in your old one.....I just called last week. HOWEVER, I needed mine to just be re-sleeved with another pull knob on it as well. I got a 12' choke cable from NAPA for $35 and used the sellve off of it with my fitting for my Mikuni carb. I also had the knob off of it machined to the existing cable.

choke cable

What I have done before is to cut the old cable flush with the rod on the pull. Drill out the end and insert the new cable and silver solder it to the pull rod.I have never had a problem with this fix yet.
    Gregg V

Here's another good site I came across for stuff like this.

Home - Midwest Control Products Corp.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread