More 950 mods in the works

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More 950 mods in the works

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

More 950 mods in the works

So, I've decided to keep the Hustlers and rework the back seat area/engine cover on the 950 into a utility bed. This will cut down on the # of riders I can carry, but hey, I've got the 980 for that.

So here's what I've got in mind: the 980 is too nice a machine and the tub/top are in great shape, so I wouldn't want to change any of that. Probably limit what I do to it to just installing some custom chain tensioners, and possibly adding a front/rear receiver winch mount. It will also get a new set of tires(suggestions welcome) I kinda like these ATV Tires - TrailBreaker Chevron

For the 950 though, I've got other plans altogether.

Toss the busted up rear seat/engine cover, and using a light gauge sheet metal, build an easily removed, fitted utility bed that covers the entire engine area, is vented for obvious reasons, and extends down into the rear floorboard area as far forward as possible. This will be chafe proofed at the sides to prevent rubbing the tub, and will go a long way towards keeping sticks and leaves out of the bottom of the tub.

Rework exhaust to allow above and quieten the engine down, for hunting.

add car alternator for better charging, or just buy one of these:
    1000-watt 2-stroke Portable Generator | Overstock.com
    Because its easier and I can use it for both machines, for probably about the same cost and a lot less trouble.

I'm toying with the idea of cutting out the front seat and replacing it with a home made removable bench seat similar to the Max seats but not as tall, for easier maintenance. (Working around the seat is a real PITA)... But I am undecided about this as of yet. Really don't like having the seat in the way while working on the front stuff.

So there are my plans, what do you guys think?

I can't offer any real advice but I'm sure glad to see you holding on to the machines. I thought we were going to loose you there for a minute.

Thanks, cclingma. But if I had sold them, does that mean I couldn't hang out on here with you guys? Wow 'cause if that is so, I would have been REALLY bummed... probably to the point of doing something rash... you know like ...buying a HD 650 with adair tracks like Dan's... yeah... then I could have claimed insanity and defaulted on the loan and the bank would feel so sorry for me that they would let me KEEP the Argo for FREE!!! HEY I may be onto something here

any body wanna buy 2 Hustlers?

No... DANG!!!! thus another great plan is shredded...

Sorry for the necropost - but did you ever make that utility bed?

Almost missed this one, sorry for the late reply. Kind of a long story there, here's the short version. The shop I was working in at the time was an old mobile home and really narrow trying to work on these things. I was tinkering on the 980 and when I stood up, scraped my back on my vertical metal bandsaw. Right about then was when all projects were postponed until I could build the new shop I had been planning. Wound up selling both my 950 and 980 to get the cash to finish the shop. 22 months later I moved all my tools into a new 24X32 shop, there is no note on it, and it's already too small, so, I'll be adding a 16X24 drop shed soon

I'm guessing you're thinking of building one? wish I hadn't tossed the drawings when I moved shop...
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

LOL...well, at least there's a good story involved! Yep, thinking of building one but........

I'm kinda in a similar mode now, trying to scratch up enough money to buy some land....so selling stuff off. I'm thinking I'll keep the hustler though, but I need to complete some other trucks and sell them off first. So the Hustler project is on furlough right now. I can move it from place to place, and that's gonna have to be good enough for now. Eventually I'll get here together, in the meantime I'm going through the parts I've got and pulling interesting ones for the build.

Thanks for the reply!

+ Reply to Thread